Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Man in GP's surgery today may have swine flu - how contagious is it?

(18 Posts)
extremelychocolateymilkroll Tue 04-Aug-09 20:23:21

I'm almost 12 weeks pregnant and at the GP's surgery today there was a man in the waiting room who may have swine flu. I was on the other side of the waiting room from him. The doors are really thin and I heard him talking to the doctor when he went in as he coughed. He's had sweats and feels achey all over. The GP told him it could be SF. He didn't cough in the waiting room and even though I saw the same doctor I didn't sit down in the chair he would have been sitting in. I was examined by the doctor on the couch. I think it's pretty unlikely that I will have caught it - just wondered what anyone else thought? TIA

Ripeberry Tue 04-Aug-09 20:24:51

Just make sure that you wash your hands really well!

nickytwotimes Tue 04-Aug-09 20:28:10

What Ripey said.
Hand washing is very important.
Silly man going in with swine flu. Ffs, a surgery, where there are potentially immunosuppressed people.
Does your surgery not have a notice up fending off coughers?

Thandeka Tue 04-Aug-09 20:36:57

my docs advice was you need to be within a metre for over an hour to get it really.

So fingers crossed all is fine.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Tue 04-Aug-09 20:38:10

Thanks for your responses - and my hands are practically red raw from washing. There are signs about not coming to the surgery with SF but I guess if someone is stupid enough to get as far as the surgery he won't pay attention to the notices on the walls.

clemette Tue 04-Aug-09 20:39:06

If it helps, three children I have taught have had it, two of my colleagues (who I share a staffroom with) have had it, my mum has had it and there is an outbreak at DC's nursery and still we haven't got it.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Tue 04-Aug-09 20:39:30

Thanks Thandeka - that's reassuring.

nickytwotimes Tue 04-Aug-09 20:39:33

True!
Hope you are fine. Sounds like you will, but the worry is hassle enough.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Tue 04-Aug-09 20:41:13

Thanks clemette and nickytwotimes. Does anyone know what the incubation period is?

nickytwotimes Tue 04-Aug-09 20:42:42

Afaik it is about 5 days.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Tue 04-Aug-09 20:45:24

Thanks once again nicky.

JackBauer Tue 04-Aug-09 20:50:34

If it helps reassure you my bro had it and has been at home with my mum but nearly a week later and she is fine (which is good as we are visiting this weekend) She only has a small bungalow so can't get more than a m away if she wanted!
They were told incubation was 5-7 days. If you go 7 days with no symptoms then you are clear from catching it from him.

Musukebba Tue 04-Aug-09 20:52:27

Agree with significant exposure being same room for 1hr within 1 metre, but incubation period more like three days.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Tue 04-Aug-09 20:53:18

Thanks Jack.

yummymummy310 Tue 04-Aug-09 22:26:38

no you'd be v unlucky to get it in that case, me and my 2 girls had it and my husband never got it. Also there are people around and about with symptoms that could be SF all the time that doesn't mean they have it and even if they did you'd catch it. Sure you'll be fine x

extremelychocolateymilkroll Wed 05-Aug-09 08:28:28

Thanks Musukebba and yummymummy310. So far so good this morning!

pofacedandproud Thu 06-Aug-09 14:27:28

How selfish of that awful man. That is why this thing spreads so fast. angry for you. unlikely that you were exposed, but worrying.

CountessDracula Thu 06-Aug-09 14:28:36

I would say as long as you wash your hands you will be fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now