Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Oseltamivir - what to mix it with?

(9 Posts)
Sassyfrassy Tue 04-Aug-09 19:41:45

My 11 month old dd has been given oseltamivir and I was told by the chemists that because it is so bitter tasting I need to mix it with something sweet like syrup. I tried it with the golden syrup I had at home but it was really messy and gunky. Has anyone else found anything good to mix it up with that a baby would actually swallow?

TeamEdward Tue 04-Aug-09 19:44:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeamEdward Tue 04-Aug-09 19:45:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CountessDracula Tue 04-Aug-09 19:45:25

agave nectar?

Musukebba Tue 04-Aug-09 20:49:46

Go for salty. Try in marmite on toast, if she likes it.

I know of a couple of intra-familial anecdotal case reports ( wink ) that it works with v bitter anti-malarials...

yummymummy310 Tue 04-Aug-09 22:23:46

chocolate icecream syrup worked for us, though with my eldest we had to actually hide it in her icecream as after a couple of doses she refused to take it in the sauce, she never rumbled our sneaky hiding of it though. My youngest took it in the sauce in a syringe squirted in the side of her mouth where few taste buds. Hope she's better soon x

Sassyfrassy Tue 04-Aug-09 23:10:15

Thanks everyone, will definately try the icecream and sauce as she is crazy about ice cream. Poor girl is really poorly right now with a high temperature and bad cough. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that her big sister wont catch it as she has just recovered from a bad bout of pneumonia.

yummymummy310 Wed 05-Aug-09 08:52:56

oh heck hope her big sister doesn't get it, is horrid seeing your children poorly, hope she's better soon x

dikkertjedap Wed 05-Aug-09 09:47:33

I mixed it with lots of M&S belgian chocolate sauce (petit filous size amount of chocolate size with teh 30ml tamiflu for 3 yo), I read that other people have hidden it in strawberry jam and indeed ice cream as yummymummy said.

Also sips of water in between the spoons with the mixture and a bites of a bread stick helped us.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: