Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Oseltamivir - what to mix it with?

(9 Posts)
Sassyfrassy Tue 04-Aug-09 19:41:45

My 11 month old dd has been given oseltamivir and I was told by the chemists that because it is so bitter tasting I need to mix it with something sweet like syrup. I tried it with the golden syrup I had at home but it was really messy and gunky. Has anyone else found anything good to mix it up with that a baby would actually swallow?

TeamEdward Tue 04-Aug-09 19:44:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeamEdward Tue 04-Aug-09 19:45:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CountessDracula Tue 04-Aug-09 19:45:25

agave nectar?

Musukebba Tue 04-Aug-09 20:49:46

Go for salty. Try in marmite on toast, if she likes it.

I know of a couple of intra-familial anecdotal case reports ( wink ) that it works with v bitter anti-malarials...

yummymummy310 Tue 04-Aug-09 22:23:46

chocolate icecream syrup worked for us, though with my eldest we had to actually hide it in her icecream as after a couple of doses she refused to take it in the sauce, she never rumbled our sneaky hiding of it though. My youngest took it in the sauce in a syringe squirted in the side of her mouth where few taste buds. Hope she's better soon x

Sassyfrassy Tue 04-Aug-09 23:10:15

Thanks everyone, will definately try the icecream and sauce as she is crazy about ice cream. Poor girl is really poorly right now with a high temperature and bad cough. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that her big sister wont catch it as she has just recovered from a bad bout of pneumonia.

yummymummy310 Wed 05-Aug-09 08:52:56

oh heck hope her big sister doesn't get it, is horrid seeing your children poorly, hope she's better soon x

dikkertjedap Wed 05-Aug-09 09:47:33

I mixed it with lots of M&S belgian chocolate sauce (petit filous size amount of chocolate size with teh 30ml tamiflu for 3 yo), I read that other people have hidden it in strawberry jam and indeed ice cream as yummymummy said.

Also sips of water in between the spoons with the mixture and a bites of a bread stick helped us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now