Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Will there be Tamiflu in Spain?

(17 Posts)
herecomesthesun Tue 04-Aug-09 16:28:26

I am due to travel to spain at the end of the month with my two babies and am petrified they will catch it travelling/on the plane etc.

Is there Tamiflu available in Spain?
Is there any way of me finding out?
Obviously I would want to get this at the earliest opportunity if they were to come down with it and would perhaps not risk travelling if it was not going to be available there.

MitchyInge Tue 04-Aug-09 16:55:35

maybe you can get some beforehand?

herecomesthesun Tue 04-Aug-09 16:57:04

Yes I did think about going to see the GP the week before to see if he could provide some.

OrangeFish Tue 04-Aug-09 16:58:01

Yes but don't forget to take you European Health Insurance Card for them with you. The card is provided by the NHS.

OrangeFish Tue 04-Aug-09 16:59:31

BTW, You are not going to get Tamiflu if they aren't showing signs of being infected. This is not Calpol, honest.

LIZS Tue 04-Aug-09 17:11:43

if you are that worried don't go, but there are plenty of other infections they might get the same way or over here, some of which are worse and less easily treatable. They won't prescribe "just in case" supplies aren't unlimited and some people are getting it and then seliing it on the black market. Take supplies of Calpol etc and an EHIC card.

LIZS Tue 04-Aug-09 17:15:58

Advice

MitchyInge Tue 04-Aug-09 17:17:09

can you buy tamiflu? it's just one a day as a preventative measure as opposed to two once you are symptomatic, according to the leaflet in the box

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 04-Aug-09 17:17:14

This map shows how it has spread round the world

Far fewer cases in Spain. You're more at risk in the UK.

Why are you so petrified though? Do you have specific grounds to be frightened, beyond the fact that you have young children? (Not trying to belittle your fear, just trying to understand how irrational it might be!)

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 04-Aug-09 17:18:41

This report would suggest that Tamiflu will be available in Spain

Just make sure you take your European Health CArd with you.

wannaBe Tue 04-Aug-09 17:26:06

yes it will be available. But...

Tamiflu isn't a miracle cure... it reduces symptoms by about one day... and in the meantime the side effects are pretty horrible.

And tbh most people who have had swine flu have had fairly mild symptoms - much milder than normal seasonal flu.

Unless your children have serious underlying health problems that will mean they could be more adversely affected by swine flu, I really wouldn't panic.

I caught swine flu in Spain - I was ill within an hour of landing back in the UK -just make sure you have their E111 cards with you, and take plenty of antibac handgels..... smile

BTW, the side effects of Tamiflu for me were far, far worse than the flu itself sad

Horton Tue 04-Aug-09 17:34:50

I am just getting over swine flu (presumed, as I haven't actually seen a doctor to confirm) and didn't get any side effects from the Tamiflu. I don't think you necessarily get them. It has been wonderful actually. On Sunday I literally couldn't stand up and today I feel close to normal, although still have a dreadful cough and runny nose etc.

yummymummy310 Tue 04-Aug-09 22:05:39

I can't help thinking all the people who've had swine flu and it 'wasn't that bad' haven't really had it, although maybe everyone reacts differently, as myself and a few other Mum's on here have been wiped out by it.

It's 2 weeks today I got it and took to my bed hot, shakey and exhausted the minute my DH got home. Spent well over a week in bed with it hot, shakey, muscle spasms, headache, cough, terrible joint and muscle pain, upset stomach, difficulty breathing properly and sleeping. I also got a secondary infection.

My eldest got it and within 24 hours of first symptoms was in A&E having what was like an accute asthma attack, she's never had asthma, she was diagnosed with a flu induced wheeze and given a course of steroids and an inhaler. She's fine now.

A lot of people with some flu symptoms who are given tamifu don't get that poorly but who's to say they actually had SF, they haven't been examined or swabbed in a lot of cases.

I did read on here that some kids were swabbed and did have it and weren't that poorly though so it's hard to judge.

Tamiflu's also hard to judge we didn't have any symptoms from it, but I was sure I was too late taking it which was a little pointless and I got really poorly. I don't know if that was because SF just affected me differently as I was already worn out from being so worried about my eldest or because I didn't have the tamiflu in time or just to do with my individual case.

Also wannabe it's not taken to just reduce symptoms by a day it's taken to prevent pneumonia and lung damage etc which is important if you actually have flu but it's so hard to tell very early on so it's a catch 22 if you risk taking it or not taking it.

What I'm saying is (after so much waffling - sorry) is that I wouldn't panic about SF as it's treatable but that it can turn nasty in those who are unlucky so should not be under estimated and should be carefully monitored. Tamiflu can't be given to kids under 1 without particular medical advice to my understanding as there is some evidence the side effects can be different in under 1's and so it's only given if they are certain it will help I believe x

MitchyInge Wed 05-Aug-09 10:26:16

I was told the mildness (and rapid onset) of symptoms was one of its defining characteristics, for most people. I didn't have any sort of cough or wheeze initially but that's getting progressively worse, just taken 3rd tamiflu so hopefully it will stop it in its tracks.

yummymummy310 Wed 05-Aug-09 13:18:25

yeah with me it came on gradually then day 3 or 4 was lot worse, now just struggling to shake it off but with my eldest it really attacked her breathing early, it's different with everyone, my youngest wasn't that poorly just hot and nasty cough and sore throat really also achey limbs x

itwasntme Wed 05-Aug-09 13:41:29

Yes it's available here. In fact I'm pretty sure you can get it over the counter in pharmacies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now