Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Difficult diagnosis and Tamiflu stocks

(21 Posts)
jasperc163 Tue 04-Aug-09 11:06:45

I posted a week or so ago as DD2's nursery had suspected SF cases and I didnt know whether to pull her out (as she was leaving this week anyway). I did but I am not sure i did it fast enough :-(

Took DD1 (3.5) to see GP yesterday (via the back door!) as she has symptoms that no doubt the helpline would say was SF - high temp (but she gets this v easily) , sore throat and cough. GP said it could be but it could also be any other throat virus. Both DD2 and I have had a cold/slight sore throat (but no temp) last week.

She seemed to think we should just treat as we would have in the past ie calpol/nurofen and rest etc. Said that there would be only one prescription of tamiflu per person and that we would be much better off not using it if not really ill as then you still have it for the possible mutated version in the autumn.

If this is the case then it seems mad that it is getting doled out like smarties now for anything that possibly could be sf?

Meanwhile DD1 is on the sofa for the 2nd day running feeling very poorly. We are meant to be going on holiday to France on friday !!! (luckily by car)

jasperc163 Tue 04-Aug-09 11:10:23

oops meant DD1's nursery

pofacedandproud Tue 04-Aug-09 11:16:46

I think it is mad too. We had a similar dilemma - 14 month old dd was ill with a high fever for 3 days last week, ds, 4, had a temp one night and a slight cough, and I have had a horrible cough and heavy cold [things always go to my chest] and dh a cold. We were all given tamiflu but have not taken it. I was worried about dd but she's fine now. Really don't think it was SF. But what can you do? Massively over diagnosed IMO.

pofacedandproud Tue 04-Aug-09 11:18:15

I did feel pretty awful for 3 days - totally lost taste and smell and blinding headache, but I was still functioning. So hard to know.

jasperc163 Tue 04-Aug-09 11:25:34

Glad you are doing better now...

GP definitely implying that she thought symptoms would be much worse in autumn and therefore better not to take it now if not desperate. I obviously still dont know if DD has it - she is pretty ill but this is by no means the first time she has been like this. Its too late now anyway really as has had temp now for 2 days.

laughalot Tue 04-Aug-09 11:41:43

My ds is just recovering from it he is 5.

He started with a sore throat and woke up in the night crying. He had a horrible temp over 40. When he got up the next morning he had a headache, sore and aching muscles and tired even though he had a full nights sleep.

He struggled to even go to the loo because he was so tired. He lost his appetite and spent 3 days just drinking lemonade he had bout 6 grapes that was it.

The worst symptom is the really high fever when he was having the calpol he would last about 40 min and then it would be straight back up again. We were advised to take his duvet out of the cover and just let him have the sheet however when we did that he was shivering because he was cold.

It was worst at night because you hate them going to sleep with a temp. It has took him from thursday until today to get better. He now seems to have it come out in a cold so lots of lovely green snot hmm joy.

I never want to see him so ill again it was horrible.

pofacedandproud Tue 04-Aug-09 11:55:30

we've just had the results of a private swab back. Negative for SF. So we've spent a week being ill with SF still to come. Wonderful. I bet we're not alone. And because of overuse SF now becoming resistant to Tamiflu.

jasperc163 Tue 04-Aug-09 12:04:54

At least you didnt take the tamiflu pofacedandproud?

pofacedandproud Tue 04-Aug-09 13:13:55

yes very glad we didn't take it. dd had one dose and then i stopped, she had a nosebleed.

jasperc163 Tue 04-Aug-09 13:24:29

shock

yummymummy310 Tue 04-Aug-09 13:54:17

I wasn't sure if my kids had swine flu as although they seemed very poorly and my eldest had such terrible breathing problems (and was diagnosed with a flu induced wheeze at A&E) the girls seemed to bounce back quickly (maybe tamiflu who knows).....then I got it and have never felt so ill, really bad flu with terrible shakes, muscle spasms, terrible rib pain, dizziness, confusion, upset stomach, then a chest infection am still achey and hot 2 weeks later....think when you get SF you know as an adult! Harder to tell with kids x

laughalot Tue 04-Aug-09 14:02:10

Yummymummy310 how long after did you get it ? Me, dh and dd seemed to have escaped it we think.

jasperc163 Tue 04-Aug-09 14:36:29

laughalot - sorry to hear it was so bad. Pretty awful here - DD's temp seems to be climbing 2 days in.

laughalot Tue 04-Aug-09 14:42:21

Jasperc163 it sounds like she has it tbh. The temp just gets higher as the days go on.

Hope she feels better soon. The doc told me 2 give him calpol every 2 hours as his temp was so high.

jasperc163 Tue 04-Aug-09 14:56:26

:-( How long did it last laughalot?

Am giving calpol and nurofen - normally nurofen drops her temp but doesnt seem to be doing much this afternoon (she regularly goes over 40 degrees with ear infections).

yummymummy310 Tue 04-Aug-09 15:46:04

awh hope she's better soon jasperc163. laughalot my eldest got it, then my youngest 2 days later, then me 2 days later have had it 2 weeks today, DH didn't get it at all x

jasperc163 Tue 04-Aug-09 16:59:13

thanks yummymummy

pofacedandproud - where did you get the tests done?

laughalot Tue 04-Aug-09 17:16:23

Jasper he had it from thursday and is only just better today. See im not used to temps over 40 so it scared me. Hope she is better soon.

Yummy thanks for that im hoping we have missed it.

MitchyInge Tue 04-Aug-09 17:19:05

I was just looking into tests via links in this bit of mumsnet, it's £125 for a 2 day turnaround - that put me off the idea

pofacedandproud Tue 04-Aug-09 18:06:57

medichecks - googled. They are expensive, but the peace of mind if we had had SF....

jasperc163 Wed 05-Aug-09 11:04:11

DD's temperature is now falling and cough improving (just snotty) so looks like we are coming out the other side (touch wood). We are meant to be going to france on friday so hoping we will make it (we wont actually come into contact with anyone til saturday , but which time it will have been 7 days since it started).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now