Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Poor daughter

(9 Posts)
mummynumnum Sun 02-Aug-09 21:46:48

Dd 3yr has developed really barking cough tonight and runny nose and temp 37.5 to 38 at times.I had sf over wk ago. Wondering if this is what she has got. Sayng that I still seem to have chesty cough.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 02-Aug-09 21:51:45

Well she needs two symptoms on top of the fever so the national pandemic service would say yes that's swine flu.

mummynumnum Sun 02-Aug-09 22:00:32

I am nervous wreck. Temp ok at mn but she has history of febrile convulsins and am lying n bed with her,t hermometer in hand.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 02-Aug-09 22:17:34

How long ago were the convulsions? DS had one in March (he's one) but he responded well to having paracetamol and ibuprofen to drive down his temperature when it peaked during his recent illness.

Bloody scary when they fit isn't it? I knew exactly what it was from seeing other kids have them but when it's your own it's so worrying

yummymummy310 Mon 03-Aug-09 00:34:43

awh poor you guys hope she's better soon scary when they are poorly, my eldest had a bad reaction to the SF with her breathing that scared me no end so feel for you. Have you a fan you could put near her? Have you got windows open, have you one of them fever strips that keeps kids cool? Is she stripped down to vest? Try get her to drink if you can, sorry I know I'm probably teaching my Grandma how to suck eggs so to speak but sometimes when I'm worried I forget the basics so thought were worth mentioning. Calpol and nurofen alternated are great like you say x

mummynumnum Mon 03-Aug-09 07:19:53

Convulsions have not happened for a yr so prob worrying uneccesarily. She appears hoarse today, but ok, temp sitting about 37.5, so perhaps worrying uneccesarily. Maybe phone GP and just get cough looked at. I still have unused prescription from when I had sf dor ab's. As still have cough wondered if should use or go back and see doc

whomovedmychocolate Mon 03-Aug-09 07:52:58

If she doesn't have a temperature and it's just a cough, perhaps wait another 24 hours and see if she gets better on her own. Most kids bat off SF in five days. There would be no point in getting Tamiflu at this point anyway.

Elibean Mon 03-Aug-09 19:47:01

It could also be croup, mummynumnum, my dd1 had exactly that kind of temp, hoarseness, and barking cough (worse at night) with croup.

Not much fun either, of course. Hope she's better soon, do understand the worry.

mummynumnum Mon 03-Aug-09 21:02:12

She seems to be alright today. Cough better, temp ok unroll end of day when suddenly shot up. Ok in bed now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now