Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

question for anyone who has had swine flu

(4 Posts)
muddle78 Sun 02-Aug-09 18:58:23

if you didn't take relenza/tamiflu... how bad was the flu for you? how long did it last and how were you diagnosed? which symptoms did you have? also, do you have underlying health conditions such as athsma/ diabetes/ pregnancy? if so, how were these affected?

if you did take relenza/tamiflu... how bad was the flu for you? how long did it last and how were you diagnosed? which symptoms did you have? also, do you have underlying health conditions such as athsma/ diabetes/ pregnancy? if so, how were these affected?

i just want to get a better picture of this virus from real people not just media.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 02-Aug-09 19:05:37

We've been diagnosed with it twice hmm. I'm not sure if we ever did have it or not but I refused the Tamiflu and we all got better in about ten days - aching, tired, headache, not hungry (that lasted a month), nauseous. Except for the lack of hunger it was much like pregnancy wink DCs got it but DH didn't. Twas a poor substitute for proper flu.

dikkertjedap Sun 02-Aug-09 20:04:28

DH developed very high fever on a Friday evening (whilst on holiday). Fever did not come down with maximum amounts of paracetamol and nurofen. Doctor visited next morning (in full gear) and tested him for influenza A (only takes 30 minutes) as he tested positive DH was prescribed full dose of tamiflu for 5 days (DD and myself, severe asthmatic, were given tamiflu profylactically for 10 days - half dose). Husband had also sample taken to send to lab. Saturday he took tamiflu round 12.00h afternoon, still high fever during Saturday, Sunday still fever but lower. Monday all fever gone, still very tired though. Thursday we had a call that it was indeed swine flu. DD and myself did not contract swine flu in spite of sharing the apartment with DH. DH and DD had no side effects at all, I had headache, but might have been stress rather than tamiflu. Also, husband had a bit of a cough, but no stomach problems (actually had a huge appetite) and no other symptoms apart from high fever, little bit of a cough (but that really started only on Sunday), tiredness and muscle ache.

yummymummy310 Sun 02-Aug-09 21:51:20

me and my 2 daughters had SF, we all had tamiflu but I had it very much last minute after SF symptoms, where as girls had it early on.

My eldest started with sore throat, temp, cough and a slight wheeze. Got tamiflu 12 hr after symptoms as wheeze concerned doc. Less than 24 hour after first symptoms she had what was like an accute asthma attack which was diagnosed by A&E doc as 'a flu induced wheeze' treated with steroids and large doses of inhaler. She bounced back in less than a week though and is off the inhaler and everything.

My youngest had more aches and pains, cough, sore throat, temp and said her head hurt but didn't seem as poorly or have the wheeze or breathing difficulties my eldest had. She had tamiflu and bounced back within a week.

I had tamiflu but due to some crappy advice from NHS direct was delayed in getting it and am sure really was more than 48 hours after first symptoms (my doc was not happy with them). I wasn't overly worried as despite my eldest's unfortunate breathing problems the girls were recovering quickly. I however have been v poorly had a v bad dose of the flu and a secondary chest infection.

Was v hot, achey, muscle spasms, joint and back pain, headaches and just completely drained of all my energy. I went back to the doc 10 days after first symptoms still feeling v run down, larthargic and having rib pain, I went to check if infection had gone, he said it was still the flu and I'd got a temp still and other flu symptoms, the rib pain was due to inflammation of the chest walls due to the flu too.

I don't really know if the tamiflu helped or not to be honest but was worth the risk with my eldest given how suddenly she got so poorly, the girls didn't seem to have any side effects, although my eldest talked in her sleep a couple of times. I had very vivid dream that I could remember but not nitemares and found it hard to sleep in the day time despite being ill but am not sure whether that was the flu or tamiflu.

Why do you ask? x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now