Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

20 week old daughter....advice please?

(12 Posts)
clouiseg Fri 31-Jul-09 14:41:46

Hi all

My 3rd DD is 20 weeks old and normally an incredibly content little girl with a smile for everyone and an appetite that never ends lol.

I found out yesterday that I may have had Swine Flu last week. I woke up with shortness of breath, headache & ached from head to toe (inc my fingers!)for 4 days. I had a mild fever so thought nothing of it and spent a day in bed to recoup while DH cared for DDs. Had NO idea it may have been SF and didnt get Tamiflu.

Anyway, DD refused her last feed last night (NEVER happens)... & got really distressed when I persisted with it, then went off to sleep from 11pm to 8am. She then refused to feed this morning, only taking 2oz instead of 8, then again getting really distressed. She really has a huge appetite normally (she weighs 1st 5!!) so has baby rice plus her normal formula feeds. For her to refuse food is unheard of. She has refused to take any more than 3oz at lunchtime and seems REALLY grizzly. She'll have a little bit of water but shes crying non stop, even when having cuddles. Am checking her temp, so far its only 37 degrees but will monitor. Any advice of what I ought to look out for?

Ps....I know shes not herself at all. And its not her teeth etc. Mummys instinct! Many thanks ladies. xxx

dikkertjedap Fri 31-Jul-09 14:45:40

I would take her to a doctor asap. I would also keep a close eye out for dehydration, I don't know if you can give those rehydration sachets to a 20 week old? You might want to check with your doctor. Also, I would also monitor her temperature regularly. All the best.

clouiseg Fri 31-Jul-09 16:13:03

Thanks dikkertjedap for replying. I will find out now about the rehydration sachets. Shes having a little water but will def watch out for dehydration. Its just so unlike her to not bite my hand off for food...she LOVES eating. Have her stripped off for now to keep her cool...its typical that its a Friday when the GP shuts soon isnt it! She woke up a min ago crying and then zonked out again so shes obviously sleeping something off eh?

Will ring my GP I think for advice. The thing is she doesnt have a high fever as they tell you to look out for...hmmmmmm.

yummymummy310 Fri 31-Jul-09 18:23:05

has she had a sudden cough cos that is another sign. My girls were quite hot/sore throat/headache and had a cough too. My eldest had a wheeze as well which was unusual for a virus or cold and something that should be checked with suspected SF or in any case I suppose.

The doc said thought it was tonsilitis and gave penicilin for throat and inhaler for wheeze. Later he phoned and said he wasn't happy with wheeze and wanted her to take tamiflu. I still wasn't overly concerned but in the night she had what was like an accute asthma attack (very scary but lucky for you very unusual I must assure you). Was treated like an asthma attack with course of steroids and inhaler, she's fine now.

My youngest had a much milder dose of SF I'm sure it was the same thing as they share bunk beds and it was less than 48 hours later she came down with it but it didn't affect her as badly.

I was quite poorly and had a secondary infection and didn't get a whole lot of rest at first but had to take to my bed for 4 days and am going to do the same this weekend ((begrudgingly)to try and see it off for good!

Hope your little girl is better soon and it's not SF, even if it is most kids have a miserable couple of days feeling poorly and suddenly bounce back, so wouldn't panic unless you can't control the temperature or she has trouble breathing. Would alternate calpol/nurofen and keep her really cool and try and get her to drink if you can x

yummymummy310 Fri 31-Jul-09 18:24:55

sorry just realised you said 20 weeks thought she was 20 months so not sure whether she can have nurofen? Am sure you know though x

clouiseg Fri 31-Jul-09 19:20:44

Ty yummymummy310.

She can have nurofen so theres another bonus. We've managed to get her to have 5oz of milk, short of her normal feed by 3oz but still.....she ate!! She is taking water and her fever hasnt spiked enough to alarm me yet so will keep a close eye on her tonight. Certainly if she develops a cough then we'll phone someone (although thats tough because she had Whooping Cough not too long ago and still has the remnant cough from that!!)

I guess my only worry is the exposure...I had it, my next door neighbour had it...but so far DD1 & DD2 have escaped unaffected, as has DH. Hopefully there'll be nothing more to tell.

Incidentally, as she is so tiny, does anyone know what I'm meant to do if she gets ill over the weekend? I was told that SF sufferers should stay home, but then soemone else said that Tamiflu for tiny babies needs to be given under medical supervision! Do I take her to hospital or not?

Its a tough one! But thanks so much for the help. xxx

yummymummy310 Fri 31-Jul-09 21:37:03

how little is she? awh bless her hope she improves tonight. Yeah I think tamiflu for under 1's needs a bit more input from a doctor, so you should definately consult with your doc about that if she needs it, hope she has a good night. If she suddenly was really poorly you'd take her to A&E (maybe checking with them if they have a swine fu area you should go to) and if you were just concerned you'd phone you GP's out of hour service, for under 1's the flu line etc isn't used as far as I unerstand it x

yummymummy310 Fri 31-Jul-09 21:37:58

sorry loosing my marbles she is 20 weeks!x

MrsHappy Fri 31-Jul-09 21:42:02

I would take her to the GP.
Small children don't always get a fever when tey are ill (something to do with their immune systems being immature) but not all doctors are aware of that IME. Anyway, if she is out of sorts and you are worried, get her seen. She'll most probably be fine even if it is the SF, but 20 weeks is quite little so I'd be extra cautious.

MrsHappy Fri 31-Jul-09 21:44:54

Just realised it is Friday. Well, if she still seems poorly tomorrow I would probably call the out of hours GP in the first instance.

clouiseg Fri 31-Jul-09 22:11:32

Awwww thanks so much for the advice. I think its a good idea to check re a special area if she does need to be seen....and oddly our Out of Hours GP service is at the hospital, via a walkway through A&E!

She seems very grumpy and still warm so if she doesnt settle I will call the OOH, if nothing else for advice on what to do if she takes a bad turn.

And I had no idea about the fever in babies...it seems its the first thing GPs look for (if anyone else has heard the infamous line "but theres no fever so she must be fine" when she vomitted for 3 days non stop...or is that just my bad experience? lol)

Many many thanks again for your time and input, we are very grateful. xxx

yummymummy310 Fri 31-Jul-09 22:18:55

you're most welcome glad to be of any help! Hope she's much better tomorrow x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now