Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you acquire Tamiflu in case you get ill on holiday? (I have asthma)

(10 Posts)
minko Fri 31-Jul-09 11:52:06

Not sure if this has been done before, apologies if it has. Just wondering if I should get hold of some Tamiflu to take on holiday. I have asthma so ought to take it if ill. We are away for 3 weeks as of next Friday (yay!) but worried in case we get ill. Swine flu whilst camping probably not good...

bigstripeytiger Fri 31-Jul-09 11:59:24

Are you going camping outside the UK? If you are in the UK you should still be able to access Tamiflu if you need it.

morningsuncanslay Fri 31-Jul-09 12:04:32

I don't think so ..I think you just get medical advice if you become ill.

claricebeansmum Fri 31-Jul-09 12:06:02

The advice I heard was that you should not obtain Tamiflu incase you get ill. In the UK you will be fine and if you are abroad then you will need your EHIC in Europe or travel insurance if outside.

minko Fri 31-Jul-09 14:59:51

Going to be in France, that's my problem - don't want to be deported! Do they have the same protocols in France as here??

dikkertjedap Fri 31-Jul-09 15:12:31

If you are desperate you can buy it online, generally speaking it is recommended not to do this though (I did however buy tamiflu online, but was very expensive).

Might be preferable to find a helpful doctor who is willing to prescribe it. I have no idea what the situation in France is.

southeastastra Fri 31-Jul-09 15:13:28

suppose you could lie

morningsuncanslay Fri 31-Jul-09 15:57:10

minko~ me too.
We go to France next week,I have one dc with asthma,one with immunosuppression and one family member who is a Dr who saw 10 cases of flu yesterday lol

but I think it's just best to have your health cards with you...we also have insurance for accomm etc if we had to stay there/miss the ferry due to illness.

Actually having said that I'm suddenly doubting myself and am going to ring the paed [for the dc with immunosuppression]on monday to see if I should take tamiflu with me or just get medical help asap there.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 06-Aug-09 22:20:38

Back from camping in France just this very evening

Insurance covered us just in case, plus health cards and meds that we understood (calpol etc).

We had a (really)lovely time. Saw occasional sub-headlines in papers about 'la grippe' but really it just hasn't taken a hold there at all this summer in the same way as it has here. I think as long as you do the old hand washing you'll be fine.

Was lovely (and only rained twice - hooray!)

Gotte Thu 06-Aug-09 23:10:03

You should be okay in France - so long as you keep away from the English ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now