Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

When does swine flu stop being contagious?

(3 Posts)
JennyPenny22 Fri 31-Jul-09 11:33:03

I am going mad here! DD1 came down with SW on friday/sat last week so it has been about 7 days. DD is now well enough to want to go out but worried about spreading it. She still has a runny nose and cough. It was my Dads birthday yesterday and would love to take her to give him his pressie and home made card at the weekend but I don't think he really wants swine flu added to his gifts!

We have also been invited to visit FIL but they have 3 under 5s and there would also be DHs eldery step grandad there who has other health problems so it would be dangerous for him to catch it. I have told them we will have to leave it for now but its such as shame as it is very rare we get a chance to go up there.

mosschops30 Fri 31-Jul-09 11:38:11

I would leave it, the advice about how long you should remain isolated is sketchy but I think you can probably say about 7 days after you are symptom free (which your dd is not) would be a safer bet

HTH

yummymummy310 Fri 31-Jul-09 11:50:35

doc said to me if you haven't a temperature and is over 7 days since first symptoms you are ok to go out even if you are sneezing and coughing but obviously try to be hygienic but you shouldn't be infectious. You know best how you all are though. I'm just so glad when my eldest got first symptoms kept her away from a party and my friends new born, thought I was being meladramatic at the time x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now