Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

daughter not well today but ,,,,,,

(15 Posts)
hayes Fri 31-Jul-09 00:58:50

Been in contact with a baby with suspected swine flu on Saturday.....

My daughter has been unwell past 2 days not bad enough to make her go to bed but enough to make her crabby and lie on the couch with the duvet (shes 7) she has

runny nose
terrible headache that calpol won't shift
sore throat
diareah (terrible spelling I know)
but no cough and she feels hot but not feverish

does anyone know how long it takes to kick in if someone been in contact with a swine flu case?

yummymummy310 Fri 31-Jul-09 08:16:50

I heard 48 hours but then read something else said anywhere up to 7 days. My eldest got it early Friday morning 2 weeks ago now, my youngest got it on the Sunday and I got it Tuesday so the 48 hr thing would seem right in our case. Hope she better soon, horrid seeing your child poorly x

SixtyFootDoll Fri 31-Jul-09 08:20:06

My DS's were both had those symptoms and have been out of sorts for 3 days, I was told it wasnt swine flu as they dont have a temp over 38.

seeker Fri 31-Jul-09 08:26:43

My dd's poorly this morning - she was sick in the night, and now she's hotty/coldy as she puts it, achy and tired. She's obviously got something, but I think the thing to do is not worry about whether it's swine flu or not, just treat the symptoms. Paracetamol for the fever and aches, lots of fluids and the telly.

dikkertjedap Fri 31-Jul-09 09:09:39

According to the CDC the incubation period is 1-7 days. So it really varies. People are contagious from one day before onset of the symptoms and up to 4 days after symptoms have gone. Have you measured her temperature?
I would ask a doctor to come and see her if at all possible (also to exclude other causes which might need treating with antibiotics) especially that if it gets worse over the weekend (hopefully not) it might be more difficult to see a doctor. Anyway, good luck and hope she feels better soon.

yummymummy310 Fri 31-Jul-09 09:28:54

yeah 3 of us had it and agree with dikkertjedap she's talking good sense x

lal123 Fri 31-Jul-09 09:33:00

Even if it is swine flu if she's well enough not to have to go to bed I personally would not be going to see the doctor. Of course if she gets worse I would!

seeker Fri 31-Jul-09 09:39:07

I can't imagine going to, or even less, calling out the doctor for symptoms like those. What's he going to say - "There's a lot of it about - make sure she rests and has plenty of fluids and calpol"

yummymummy310 Fri 31-Jul-09 11:44:02

what if she's got tonsilitis that needs antibiotics? The only reason docs are getting called out so much is cos anyone that even might possibly have swine flu can't go down to the surgery! Plus she's been in contact with a swine flu case. If I hadn't been cautious with early symptoms I could have missed my eldest having that terrible breathing episode in the night as could've put her to bed never even considering SF given she wasn't that poorly when went to bed. I'd be careful about giving out advice encouraging people to ignore possible swine flu, admittedly it may not be but how would you feel if it was and you'd said nah she be ok don't contact the doctor x

seeker Fri 31-Jul-09 11:54:14

I haven't given anyone advice not to go to the dr - I was just saying what I would do, and what I am actually doing with my dd.

yummymummy310 Fri 31-Jul-09 12:14:32

yeah but you're belittling suggestions made by people who have actually had children with full blown swine flu implying that we are just some of those over dramatic neurotic Mums. The problem is I've seen it start very mild and like a normal virus no big deal at all would feel like huge drama queen to cause a fuss, then suddenly get very aggressive very quickly, that's why there's a ll this panic about it. Admittedly my eldest was unlucky and most kids are fine but because you haven't seen it happen think you're being a bit too laid back about it, not that I'm suggesting we should all be running around panicing!

seeker Fri 31-Jul-09 12:33:53

I didn't think I belittled. Sorry if I did. The OP's child has been ill for two days - so she's missed the tamiflu window anyway, and has no fever. I would not regard the symptoms she described as indicating she needed to call a dr out.

Agree to disagree.

yummymummy310 Fri 31-Jul-09 14:18:00

fair enough, would normally agree if wasn't for swine flu and how it can suddenly change, would think throat needs checking just incase she needs antibiotics also though if very sore, like with my eldest was sore throat and wheeze that most concerned me particularly wheeze am so glad got her checked by a doc, will have to agree to differ.wink

hayes Fri 31-Jul-09 21:27:16

wee one feeling much more like herself, my sister and her two kids feeling very similar so reakon it must be a bug...there seems to be so much going around just now.

yummymummy310 Fri 31-Jul-09 22:20:02

that's good news, hope she's better soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now