Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

4yr old son diagnosed with swine flu but I'm not sure????

(11 Posts)
charlie1000 Thu 30-Jul-09 22:47:26

He developed a chesty cough around a week ago and I kept close eye on him as he was a tad snuffly (nothing much though) but had no temperature and was acting perfectly normal. This morning however he came into my room very early saying his legs were aching and shivery. He felt really warm to touch so I gave him calpol as he was burning up, temp 38.4, and said he felt cold, teeth chattering etc. Couple of hours later, temp still rising to 39.1 so gave him nurofen as well and filled out online swine flu assessment which recommended the tami-flu for him. He was lethargic and not his usual self til about lunchtime, but managed to eat a piece of toast and drinking plenty, but after one doese of tami-flu he's been as right as rain, temp varying between 37.3- 37.7 but seemed lot perkier. Had a nap this afternoon on sofa for around an hour and then continued as before, temp slightly raised but seemed fairly happy within himself. Confused as sister-in-law said it would be more obvious if it was swine flu which I thought it was this morning, but this afternoon not so sure. Phoned NHS Direct to ask advice and they recommended completing the course so have given him second dose this evening, but haven't given him any more calpol or nurofen since this morning and he seems to have been ok.
BUT my older son who is almost 6 has now got this raging temperature of 39degrees and has been complaining of headache, hacking cough and shivering, all the same symptoms as DS2. Have given both calpol and nurofen approx 2hours ago but temp still up. Not sure what to think!

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Thu 30-Jul-09 22:49:47

It sounds like swine flu to me, it affects people differently, some have it for a short while, some for days, the Tamiflu could have helped.

charlie1000 Thu 30-Jul-09 23:06:02

Yes I think it probably is, just checked both the boys and DS1 temp 39.4, just given him another dose of calpol and wet flannel on his forehead, poor little thing, he doesn't look well. DS2 temp 37.3 so much better but seems bizarre he's made such a rapid recovery since this morning! Could the tami-flu help straight away? He only had his first dose around midday.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Thu 30-Jul-09 23:09:28

I think it depends on how each individual's body reacts to it.

Try ibuprofen as well as calpol, it often works better and faster at reducing a fever. Plenty of fluids, a fan (but not a direct one) if you have one. Do call NHS direct if you are concerned.

I really do hope they are on the mend soon, it's a horrible thing to catch. sad

charlie1000 Thu 30-Jul-09 23:14:26

Thanks FluffyBunny, yes been using both calpol and nurofen, DS1 on maximum dosage so will be keeping close eye on his temp tonight. He seems bit more peaceful now though with wet flannel on forehead, soothes his headache. Will get some tami-flu for him in morning sad

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Thu 30-Jul-09 23:15:34

sad They will be better soon. What a rubbish school holiday for them.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 30-Jul-09 23:24:24

Charlie1000 - Tamiflu works by stopping the virus replicating - obviously you can start to feel better within four hours but it takes a lot longer than that to actually let the immune system to see off the virus properly.

I assume you are stripping off the son with the temp?

I'm sure I don't need to remind you to wash your hands a lot as well

yummymummy310 Thu 30-Jul-09 23:30:34

does sound like it could be, there's four of us in our house and 3 of us had it very differently and DH didn't get it at all. My eldest had a flu induced wheeze and ended up in A&E really struggling to breathe, she's fine now. My youngest just seemed like she would be with any other virus, I had a real fluey flu like illness that knocked me off my feet and then got a secondary chest infection. I'm on the mend too though.

Just do your best to keep them cool and watch out for a temp you can't lower or a wheeze, the wheeze my eldest had was wierd I'd never heard anything similar so took her to docs, 16 hours later she could hardly breathe, that was unusual though don't panic.

They both had tamiflu, they bounced back in a week. Hope they are ok again soon x

charlie1000 Fri 31-Jul-09 14:52:47

Strangely both the children are absolutely normal this morning. Temperatures are normal, still got bit of a cough but otherwise behaving as normal, eating well and wanting to play etc. Just don't get it. Have actually stopped tamiflu for DS2 as I don't believe this can be swine flu. Very very confusing

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Fri 31-Jul-09 18:23:25

That's good. It's an odd illness anyway.

yummymummy310 Fri 31-Jul-09 18:43:32

very very odd, affected us all very differently, seems to hit you where it hurts unfortunately, glad they are on the mend that's great!x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now