Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

British girl, 16, gravely ill with swine flu in Greece

(7 Posts)
dikkertjedap Thu 30-Jul-09 17:04:42

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/Swine_flu/article6733411.ece

This is what worries me most about swine flu, the very short window of opportunity. Yes, you could say for most people it is mild and most people might get better without antivirals, but how do you know whether you come into that group or not???

Hope she gets better soon. sad

bronze Thu 30-Jul-09 17:06:02

her

I think this flu seems worse as its going to be the young and healthy who wouldnt normallyget it that shock us

bronze Thu 30-Jul-09 17:06:16

*here

yummymummy310 Thu 30-Jul-09 17:12:40

yeah it scared the hell outta me when my little girl had such terrible problems breathing with it, I know she was unlucky but when it's your little girl the stats don't really enter your head x

hobbgoblin Thu 30-Jul-09 17:17:46

Isn't the reading between the lines part of this article saying that she has flu, knew she had it while in the UK, got on a plane...to another country spreading the virus as she went?

I may be wrong but I think there is an ulterior message here - possibly two; The other addressing the issue of people obtaining Tamiflu but then not making use of it.

maggievirgo Thu 30-Jul-09 17:25:02

Yeah I got that too hobbgoblin, there was a bit of 'blame' thrown in there.

dikkertjedap Thu 30-Jul-09 17:28:12

If she indeed knew that she was possibly ill with swine flu, yes, then she clearly shouldn't have travelled, thereby exposing lots of people around her. However, I don't know what she knew or not. When my DH became ill it came up very suddenly, we had travelled through Gatwick a few days before, we still have no idea where he picked it up as we try to be so careful. The fact is she is now clearly very ill and whatever she may have done/should have done/ etc, it is done, now can only help she gets better. Clearly it is awful to be so ill wherever you are, but I think it is worse if you are in a foreign country, especially if you don't speak the language, don't know how everything works, especially also for the parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now