Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

SF Diagnosis online a complete farce?

(9 Posts)
nezelette Wed 29-Jul-09 13:35:34

DD has just had SF, on tamiflu. She had a very high temp. even after calpol AND calprofen, a bad cough, headaches and was delirious at night. Definite case.

BUT

the rest of the family had a 'cold' (that includes DS, 16 months) at the exact same time, that gave us aches, runny nose, extreme tiredness (DS slept up to 18 hours a day)(won't complain about that!!) and they were NOT seen as SF by the SF NHS ridiculous thingy online, because none of us had a temperature.
Now, come on, how could we all break up with a nasty exhausting cold at the exact same time DD has SF?? In the middle of July? hmm
That's just ridiculous.

My friend, whose daughter goes to the same nursery, also has got a cold and the daughter has high temp and a bad cough (at the same time as mine has SF)(they spend their lives together, kissing and holding hands).

BUT

the daughter wasn't diagnosed with SF because she had the wrong type of cough (that was a phone diagnosis with some student typing in symptoms in a computer, so not much better than the online thingy)

Isn't this absurd?
Did we get SF or not?
Should we keep worrying about SF or be please we're out of the woods??

yummymummy310 Wed 29-Jul-09 14:06:13

I wreckon you all had it just in different forms if was a betting woman. We had it here me and my 2 girls, my husband didn't get it. My eldest was horribly ill, ended up in A&E unable to breathe with a 'flu induced wheeze' that was treated like an accute asthma attack. Had horrid cough, sore throat, head ache, aches, pains, high temperature.

My second daughter who shares bunk beds with the first had very similar symptoms temp cough, sore throat, aches, pains but didn't seem any where near as poorly or have such problems breathing.

I got it and have never felt so ill! Was seen by doc and told defo had flu and also had a secondary infection and fluid on lung. Couldn't get out of bed for a week was so weak.

It would seem an extremely wierd coincidence (like in your cases) if we all had different viruses within 48 hours of each other.

Plus this flu thrives in heat hence why it's hitting in summer and why they have had such serious cases in Australia sad

What ever it was least we saw it off at last it seems! smile

Pikelit Wed 29-Jul-09 15:06:54

Unfortunately there is a nasty summer cold going round right now which, in the absence of a flu pandemic wouldn't cause any great excitements. So I wouldn't be too quick to rule oneself out of a cold and straight into pig flu. Having had a convo with someone whose medical advice I trust 100%, it seems that, with rare exception, the single identifying symptom of swine flu is a sudden and very high temperature. It mayn't last long but you won't miss it!

The swine flu that eldest son caught last week from his housemate, kicked off with a temperature that soaked the bedclothes, left him exhausted with no appetite and generally "feeling like shyte, Mum" but didn't include a runny nose or other classic cold symptoms.

But then I mistrust the whole "computer says No" method of diagnosis that is supposed to be an effective means of coping with a pandemic.

yummymummy310 Wed 29-Jul-09 15:12:22

yeah we were all boiling at first and did not have a head cold at all just banging headache, all other symptoms were from throat down, with difficulties in breathing, horrid aches, pains, shakes and nasty hot joints, particlarly affecting an elbow I once dislocated and a bad back I had after 2 c sections. Couldn't get out of bed for a week, that's how horrid it was! x

nezelette Wed 29-Jul-09 16:02:17

But, I'm a teacher and some of my pupils and their sibblings had SF, they were actually tested and DID have it (it was in the early days, just after Easter), and some said it was the mildest illness they've had all winter, so mild that they would have come to school had they not been warned about SF (they were coming back from hols in the US).

So, it just shows people react very differently, doesn it? If the cold was the only thing going round, why would my DD have such a high temperature for a silly cold? (she's a tough old thing) On the other hand, in it was SF she had, why did we not all get it? And if we did, why was it so mild? It's soooooo confusing!

yummymummy310 Wed 29-Jul-09 16:28:34

very confusing isn't it! Glad you said that as that reassures me we've had it incl my littlest, was sure she had same as us but she wasn't very poorly just hot and cough / sore throat and achey legs and arms at times. I was really poorly though, my husband didn't get it and my eldest had terrible breathing problems but recovered quite quickly within around 5 days with tamiflu. I think it's affecting ladies more than men but that might just be me imagining things due to my experiences but my husband and my Mum's partner didn't get it. Plus a lot of cases I've heard of in the new are women / girls x

Yet I haven't had the cough and the sore throat - yet hmm. Felt heaps better today, went shoppin and nearly collapsed in ASDA - it's back with a vengeance. For me, it's not the worst case of flu I've had but it's a bugger to get rid of. Lulls you into a false sense of security then smacks you in the head again.

Yet noone else in the house has caught it - and I've had it 6 days now hmm. Though have heard that friends we left out in Spain have all been poorly since we left....

yummymummy310 Wed 29-Jul-09 20:29:24

oh dear, yeah I've found the same it takes a lot of getting over, I went to supermarket with the kids for lunch today and decided to go into grocery bit for few bits, thought I was going to cry carrying a basket with not much in it due to aches in my ribs that's 8 days after first got it, mind you I've the other infection to throw off too so that wouldn't help x

Pikelit Thu 30-Jul-09 14:14:54

It does come in waves, I'm afraid. Everyone adult I know who has had SF thinks they are well on the mend until it briefly bites 'em again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now