Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I've just got a cold haven't I? Booked in for C Section tomorrow <<panics>&gt;

(29 Posts)
suwoo Wed 29-Jul-09 09:15:53

Woke in the night with one of those horrible sore throats that feels like you are swallowing razor blades. Been blowing nose too- but not much.

I've not got it have I? Its just a cold/bug/virus isn't it?

What will happen at hospital tomorrow, will I have to tell them?

I have to have this baby tomorrow, I only have childcare for one day. It is not feasible to be delayed.

<<panic, panic, panic>>

rubyslippers Wed 29-Jul-09 09:18:58

i had this about 2 weeks ago

just a stinking cold, deffo not swine flu

assume you don't have a fever?

suwoo Wed 29-Jul-09 09:19:50

Nope, actually cooler than I norrmally am.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 29-Jul-09 09:20:24

Give them a call today and explain your symptoms. They will advise what can/can't be done.

It sounds more like a cold than SF.

DO NOT TRY AND HIDE IT FROM THEM.

rubyslippers Wed 29-Jul-09 09:20:29

then not swine flu

good luck for tomorrow smile

suwoo Wed 29-Jul-09 09:24:05

Don't tell me off I like {grin]

Will they still do it if I have a cold?

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 29-Jul-09 09:30:11

<stern>

<grin>

I really don't know if they will go ahead tbh. But I'm guessing the anaesthetist will need to know about your general health as it may affect what drugs they use.

They may also be interested in your sore throat (strep a). I must stress I am not a HCP.

Phone them and speak to them and get their opinion, it may be no problem.

Good luck smile

LuluMaman Wed 29-Jul-09 09:31:26

you must call them today and get advice

yummymummy310 Wed 29-Jul-09 09:37:31

no main first symptom I found when we all had swine flu was a temperature and cough, followed by aches, chills, and problems breathing doesn't sound like SF to me and if you went and did SF questionnairre think the guidelines are you have to have temp or sudden cough plus 2 other symptoms and you son't fit that bill so wouldn't worry unduley.

Good look tom!wink

suwoo Wed 29-Jul-09 10:08:53

Too scared to riung them incase they won't do it. I seriously can only have the baby on Thursday or DH won't be with me as we have no-one to look after the other two.

Elibean Wed 29-Jul-09 10:27:56

I had a cold with my second section, they listened to my chest, took my temp, beamed and went ahead. I did end up with an ulcerated throat (anaesthesia, even of the epidural variety, lowers immune system) and felt v sorry for myself on day 2 post partum, but no worse.

Do tell them, honestly, they'll want to be safe for you and your baby (and themselves, probably wink) but if you've no fever or cough by tomorrow, my guess is they'll go ahead.

Meglet Wed 29-Jul-09 10:32:48

Please let them know. I'm sure they will go ahead regardless, but they might need to keep an extra eye on you.

Hope the bf goes well this time. I was wondering when you were due.

Countingthegreyhairs Wed 29-Jul-09 10:36:29

Suwoo - I'm sure everything will go ahead and be fine - I had a cold the morning of my c-section and all went well.

One bit of advice though - if you think you are getting a cough, try and get some medication to lessen the effects. As I know from experience, a cough and a c-section scar are not a happy match (no danger at all ... but it hurts a bit!!)

suwoo Wed 29-Jul-09 11:44:07

Thanks all. Yes good idea counting, I split my stitches last time through coughing and vomiting so not something I want to repeat. I think I had a minor cold when I had DS too.

I do feel like shit today, but am taking paracetemol and strepsils and I'll see how it goes.

I am assuming that with swine flu you just feel horendous straight away and it doesn't develop? Hopefully this will just stay as a cold.

Thanks Meglet, keep your fingers crossed for me smile

Countingthegreyhairs Wed 29-Jul-09 11:52:10

Crikey Suwoo. Sorry, didn't realise this was your second. You actually split your stiches??? shock How horrendous. I was told I could cough, vomit, sneeze or do treble black flips and the sewing would stay in place ..... That's AWFUL. No wonder you are worried about this one.

Good luck with it though. Hope all goes well and that you feel better quickly. It's rotten luck to succumb to a virus the day before.

suwoo Wed 29-Jul-09 12:05:13

I know I can't believe my bad luck eitherangry, but it might go by tomorrow.

I was vomiting in recovery and they split a couple of mm in the middle of the scar. Funnily enough that bit where they stuck steri srips (?) over it is the best healed part of the scar.

suwoo Wed 29-Jul-09 13:11:36

I'm sneezing now...........just a cold.

<<hopeful>>

Meglet Wed 29-Jul-09 13:15:58

I was sick in recovery after both of mine. I wonder if they would let you have anti-emetics this time round?

suwoo Wed 29-Jul-09 13:23:25

Hmm, I might ask in advance then. Have been doing some googling and it seems they will normally perform c sections if you have a cold. I don't want to scare them that I have swine flu though.

PerArduaAdNauseum Wed 29-Jul-09 13:27:39

Something I wish I'd known after my CS - the way to stop a sneeze is to press down Very Hard on the bit between your nose and top lip. This does actually work for me - prob would've saved me some stretchmarks too if I'd known about it before.

Good luck for tomorrow smile

suwoo Wed 29-Jul-09 13:29:56

Well, I shall try that next time I need to sneeze perardua, will I be able to simultaneously hold my pelvic floor too though? grin

Where did you learn that random fact?

Thanks for good luck wishes.

tkband3 Wed 29-Jul-09 13:33:20

I had a horrendous cough when I had a CS with my DTs. No other real symptoms, but the pain when I coughed was appalling. I got the nurses to give me cough linctus at the same time as my pain meds while I was in hospital, but it didn't really work.

But they didn't stop me having the CS, so fingers crossed for you.

PerArduaAdNauseum Wed 29-Jul-09 13:40:42

Can't remember where I heard it, just that it was about 3 months too late grin

yummymummy310 Wed 29-Jul-09 13:41:54

swine flu seems to start with sore throat, cough and temp, also head ache comes on very sudden too, doesn't sound like that to me having had it here. Good luck with the c section, did you have a planned one last time? I had 2 c-sections in 13 months first emergency second planned and the second was a breeze compared to the first!

Good luck, do you know the sex of the baby? smile

Countingthegreyhairs Thu 30-Jul-09 12:16:25

Good luck Suwoo ...hope you are OK ... let us know how you are getting on ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now