Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine Flu questions for the uniniated

(9 Posts)
LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Wed 29-Jul-09 08:09:47

I have all the symptoms of swine flu. Spent 6 hours in hospital last week with people who had diagnosed swine flu. Therefore I have swine flu according to the NHS.

So all I have to do it get my registration number and pop down to my local distribution centre and collect my medication??? Surely that is too easy?.

Also I am due to go to Italy for two weeks on Monday. Do I take the drugs and see what happens or cancel? I have no desire to become the next Typhoid Mary.

Thanks

llareggub Wed 29-Jul-09 08:16:57

Oh dear, poor you.

No, you have to stay in your house with a large X on the door. You must not leave it to go to the distribution centre. You must send your designated flu friend. Did you not arrange for one in your zombie plan?

All jokes aside, do you feel ill enough for medication? The side-effects are pretty nasty so personally I'd avoid it unless you have underlying health issues or are pregnant.

Hmm. Italy. I don't know. See you feel in a few days. You might just have a cold. It can't all be swine flu.

yummymummy310 Wed 29-Jul-09 08:38:48

I've had swine flu and was really poorly for 8 days, just starting to feel human again although have got a chest infection which can happen after. Should hope you'd be free of it in 2 weeks who are you going with? As could also depend on others in the house hold having it.

If you've got swine flu you will have flu syptoms at some point not just cold symptoms, I was really achey and shakey, red hot, very weak, bad cough, sore throat, head ache and very chesty although not all people are the same. Hadn't been out until yesterday (8 days after I got it) and that was a very brief outing as so exhausted

Keep an eye on breathing as although it's quite unusual SF does tend to try and attack respiritory system, my little girl had what appeared like an accute asthma attack in the night, took her to A&E she was treated with ventalin and steroids and is fine now, this wasn't due to temperature but a 'flu induced wheeze' making swine flu a much more likely cause than other nasty viruses about.

We all took tamiflu and weren't ill with it, I wasn't going to take it myself but was a little frightened of getting really poorly or pneumonia which it is supposed to reduce the chance of, so took it if possibly a day after I should have done (it is most effective in first 48 hours) not sure if it helped me or not but my kids are certainly bouncing around the house now!

Hope some of this helps you decide what to do and that you don't get too poorly, think a lot of people have milder symptoms but then as they are not swobbing do they really have it? Who knows x

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Wed 29-Jul-09 09:00:32

I have all the symptoms but also have asthma and a history of nasty chest infections and pneumonia which is why I am biting the bullet and taking the drugs. My boss however is in a right panic. I am the nanny. She is acting like I have ebola or something grin.

yummymummy310 Wed 29-Jul-09 09:34:19

yeah I've felt like that for the past 12 days since my eldest got it, should have a big cross on my door! We aren't even infectious anymore but feel like some people are avoiding us and certainly avoiding our house. Think may be wise to take the tamiflu in that case if you're prone to stuff like that though I'm not a medic just a Mum, thinks it's a case of weighing up pros n cons.

Keep an eye on your chest as I got a secondary infection and fluid on my lung,so be on the ball with symptoms and don't be scared to insist you are checked x

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Wed 29-Jul-09 11:40:58

Well have been to the doc and got the meds. My boss is making me feel very guilty. Acting like I have this on purpose. She is more concerned that I will ruin their holiday and kill their parents with my germs. No concern that I am ill or that my holiday could be ruined. She has also told me not to take any meication until she has had me checked with her doctor!!!

yummymummy310 Wed 29-Jul-09 13:34:25

she sounds like a right madam! Think it's time to look for a new boss! Hope you feel better soon x

Sparks Wed 29-Jul-09 14:38:44

I hope you are ignoring your boss and taking the tamiflu. It works better if taken sooner.

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Wed 29-Jul-09 17:26:43

Am taking the tamiflu irregardless of her wishes. I know I am the nanny but that does not make me an indentured servant!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now