Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Work, a bug, pregnancy and hysteria of swine flu...

(15 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 27-Jul-09 21:17:01

I have a bug.

Its not swine flu. I am not sure of that, but even if I was diagnosed with it I would not be sure I have it.

But I feel like poo. I have many of the symptoms, but no fever, in fact although I feel hot and bothered, temp is fine.

Now. My place of employment, like others, are v paranoid, antibac etc everywhere (funny as its a virus not a bacteria!) people all stressing, the place is like a ghost ship.

I am pregnant, and feeling very sorry for myself, and could probably do with a day at home to chill out and sleep. BUT, I am concerned that as soon as I mention sore throat, or sneezes or headache or whatever I will be given marching orders for the week and will have to call the gp and he will try to insist I take relenza which I really do not want/need for something that is a bug and nothing more.

Should I just phone up and say I have a headache? I do not want to be seen as minimising the whole swine flu thing, and I do not want to go spreading whatever I have around, but I just do not want to be diagnosed with something over the phone that I likely have not got and all the fuss as a pregnant woman that will go with it. And I really do not need a week off. If I was not pregnant and suffering with the tiredness anyway I would go into work under normal circumstances.

yummymummy310 Mon 27-Jul-09 21:47:23

tell work you have a bug and see what they say, if they tell you to stay at home that's their responsibility but if you are still convinced you haven't got SF you are under no obligation to report it to the doctor and if swine flu does break out at work you are safely tucked up at home.

We've had swine flu here in most cases it is quite mild but we were really poorly. It is a virus but I got a secondary infection so now on antibiotics too, least my little girls are much better huge relief x

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 27-Jul-09 21:55:31

yummy - oh poor you, I am glad the kids are feeling better.

I don't feel ill particularly, well clearly I do, but not flu ill, I have had flu and it was not like this.

There have been a couple of suspected cases at work, but I was already off for weeks with pg related sickness so avoided those people.

I went camping at the weekend, and I think I am more likely to have overdone it and suffered from severe lack of sleep than anything else.

Thanks for advice, I will see how I feel in the morning and call work and tell them I feel a bit off colour.

yummymummy310 Mon 27-Jul-09 22:12:37

hope you feel better, thanks for the sympathy am feeling sorry for myself lol!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 27-Jul-09 22:14:44

i know how you feel, this pg has been nothing but me feeling sorry for myself in one form or another!

I hope you feel better soon too.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 27-Jul-09 22:15:37

Tell them you have D&V - that will give you three days grace to see what develops. Hope you (both) feel better soon.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 27-Jul-09 22:21:48

3 days! a good idea in theory but i only work til thursday anyway and that will therefore be all week off! I want to go in on wed if i am well enough as I have a rather interesting home visit to do, its the first bit f interesting stuff going on in my workload for a while and it would be typical if I have to miss it! Otherwise would not complain too much about a couple of days off grin

Its not swine flu as you don't have a temp. So no Dr would prescribe you Relenza and even if they did you don't have to take it if you don't feel the need (even if it was swine flu).

If you don't feel well enough to go into work then tell them you have a bad cold/d&v/migrane/whatever you want.

yummymummy310 Mon 27-Jul-09 22:45:28

yeah that sounds a good plan, take care x

whomovedmychocolate Mon 27-Jul-09 22:48:25

Well you could miraculously recover for Wednesday!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 28-Jul-09 07:01:38

stripey - i know I don't have swine flu, but another colleague called in with just cold symptoms and was told to stay away for the week just in case. and some gps around here seem to be handing out anti-virals for the vaguest of symptoms. I guess that was my concern.

I feel significantly better this morning, but do in fact still have a sodding headache (and sore throat) not helped at all by little one getting up at 5:50am! So I will just call in and tell them I have a headache, and hopefully it will shift by tomorrow.

Picante Tue 28-Jul-09 07:05:26

Why do you want to go to work? I'd love a week off being pg!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 28-Jul-09 07:10:47

Picante - I know sad isn't it? have suffered really badly with hyperemesis up to the last week, and this is only my second week back after in total probably about 10 weeks off (popping in here and there and not being able to make it). I sort of want a bit of normality and routine again, at least for a while before baby number 2 arrives. I actually feel like a human for a change, even though I feel rotten with cold, and this interesting case I am dealing with, well its a bit juicy and it does not happen that something interesting comes up very often, its usually just dull routine stuff, especially because I have not been there most of my cases have been re-allocated.

I also feel quite flaky in terms of my colleague relationships right now, and would like for them to just think, oh here we go again.

Picante Tue 28-Jul-09 07:13:09

Yes I know that feeling of not wanting to appear like the light-weight.

Hope you feel better soon. If the gp did prescribe it he can't force you to take it!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 28-Jul-09 07:17:15

picante - that is true, I would not take it unless I really did need to take it. Bad enough taking medication I do not want to take for the hyperemesis. However, yesterday, I did not take it, as I did not eat breakfast due to feeling crap. And I was not all day! Might have turned a corner, but I said that before!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now