Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Well, this swine flu crisis seems to be calming down

(43 Posts)
Ripeberry Mon 27-Jul-09 17:01:10

Its been almost 3 days with NO mention of swine flu on the news. Is it already so 'old news' ?
Just worried they will suddenly come back on the news and say the death toll has jumped to 100 or more!

thegrammerpolice Mon 27-Jul-09 17:20:14

I was just thinking exactly that. I wonder if the media have been asked to play it down a little (or would they ignore that if they were asked?)

kathyis6incheshigh Mon 27-Jul-09 17:23:59

I was thinking exactly the same thing Ripeberry, I was googling trying to find out (without success) how many people had died!

Anyone know the latest stats!

hercules1 Mon 27-Jul-09 17:24:53

Just heard on the radio and they said 100 000 new cases this last week. Biggest jump apparently yet.

yummymummy310 Mon 27-Jul-09 17:30:04

just think when you are googling who's died that some of us out here have it and are a bit frightened given we've been so poorly x

kathyis6incheshigh Mon 27-Jul-09 17:33:10

yummymummy - sorry, didn't put that very well did I? I actually want to know for quite serious reasons - a friend has a dd with 'underlying health problems' and I am desperately hoping for her sake that numbers are going to stay low.

PortofinoLovesItUpTheOxoTower Mon 27-Jul-09 17:36:21

Well there's not been much mention in Belgium up til now, but my employer has issued guidelines today and set up a special website. Both my grandmother and father in the UK have strong risk factors and are both in poor health, which I find a bit scary.

yummymummy310 Mon 27-Jul-09 17:43:45

Can't help being sensitive we've had a bit of a nitemare with it and keep hearing jokes about it and being treated like we've got the plague!! Luckily my girls are much better just me to get right now, have had swine flu a week and been really ill, just shaking it off at last but I've got a secondary infection now and fluid on my lung.

My little girl who's not asthmatic had what you would have thought was an accute asthma attack bit scary and was treated with steroids and an inhaler, luckily I was carefully monitoring her as had picked up on early symptoms and she'd started tamiflu.

I'd also delayed a trip to see my friends newborn and the girls missed their end of nursery party which seemed a huge over reaction to her relatively mild symptoms but so glad I did that as a precaution now. think she was unlucky as my other little girl been fine with it and think most kids are.

Hoping the lady that posted her 9 month old was very poorly and had been treated badly at hospital will post another message to let us know he's ok bit worried for them x

kathyis6incheshigh Mon 27-Jul-09 17:45:41

That sounds both unpleasant and scary Yummymummy, hope your infection clears up again & sorry I was flippant.

llareggub Mon 27-Jul-09 17:46:59

Just to put things in perspective, most people won't get swine flu. More people won't get it than will get it so your odds are good.

kathyis6incheshigh Mon 27-Jul-09 17:57:25

But if you're pregnant you're more likely to get it. (They don't seem to know how much more likely though hmm)

Hulababy Mon 27-Jul-09 22:55:13

I would love to know the TRUE figures of people who have actually had SF, not those who have been diagnosed without swabbing.

I was talking to someone recently and apparently of the swabs that are being taken a high majority are coming back negative.

There must be loads of people being misdiagnosed.

PortofinoLovesItUpTheOxoTower Tue 28-Jul-09 07:37:16

We were talking about this at work this morning. Surely if you're just phoning a help line with symptoms it is impossible to diagnose correctly all the time. How many people are phoning and pretending to be ill to get some Tamiflu "just in case"? How many people just fancy a week off work? How many ARE ill but it's not flu at all?

I think the huge number of cases in the last week is vastly overexagerated.

lal123 Tue 28-Jul-09 10:55:52

Kathy - yes if you're pregnant you're more likely to get it - but you're still pretty unlikely to get it at the moment. Also - if you're pregnant you're more likely to have complications, but again the majority of pregnant women sho get it will have a mild illness.

pofacedandproud Tue 28-Jul-09 11:05:34

well they are talking about between 30% to 50% of population getting it. Winter will be the crucial time. I'm absolutely sure people are lying to get Tamiflu just in case at present. Bonkers system.

kathyis6incheshigh Tue 28-Jul-09 11:09:07

I know all that Lal but I still want FIGURES.

rolledhedgehog Tue 28-Jul-09 11:20:28

I don't see how they will get figures. There must be so much over diagnosis. My 17 mth old has a snotty nose, off his food, high temp, is whingy. Flu helpline says to get tamiflu which i will but I suspect a throat infection but the GP won't give us an appointment in case it's flu. I am currently waiting for the GP to call me back so
i can try and argue my case.

pofacedandproud Tue 28-Jul-09 11:23:28

my 14 month old woke up with a temp during the night, snot every where and coughing and whingy. How do I know this is not just another bog standard virus? Very hard to know.

ilovemydogandmrobama Tue 28-Jul-09 11:35:17

DS was admitted to Children's Hospital and the doctor was saying that they hadn't seen a confirmed case of SF despite swabbing.

Elibean Tue 28-Jul-09 16:19:17

people are definitely lying to get Tamiflu 'in case it runs out' sadangry

Someone I know (whose ds probably did have flu) got some for herself and her dd doing exactly that, and recommended I do it too shock

No, thanks.

hercules1 Tue 28-Jul-09 16:24:29

Unbelievable that people are lying to get it. Pathetic.

Chevre Tue 28-Jul-09 16:27:36

my sis is pregnant and her dh has it. she can't contracted it yet. when i was pregnant my immune system was better than normal.

wannaBe Tue 28-Jul-09 16:49:57

it's interesting that the UK has one of the highest number of cases of swine flu compared to the rest of europe, given the rest of europe are still swabbing and the UK is handing out tamiflu like jelleybeans. hmm

I think the "diagnosis" process is highly, highly irresponsible, and is just increasing the mass hysteria that is surrounding what is essentially a mild illness - thus far milder than normal seasonal flu in fact.

As for googling how many people are dying - hmm why? seriously why? Do you google how many people have died on the roads before you get in your car? or how many people have died of seasonal flu each year? Or of any other illness that is doing the rounds at the moment?

IMO it's right that death rates not be published, precisely to prevent these hysterical overreactions.

atlantis Tue 28-Jul-09 16:51:51

All thses idiots getting Tamiflu when they don't need it and the Morons who are taking it when they haven't got SF are just making it easier for the strain to become resistant to Tamiflu and then everyone will be up the creak without a paddle.

Hopefully it will be these selfish fools who get hit the hardest when Tamiflu no longer works.

kathyis6incheshigh Tue 28-Jul-09 17:55:29

Wannabe - I would like to know the death rate precisely because I suspect it is quite low. Not because I am hysterical or overreacting hmm
Knowing the actual death rate would help offset these figures being bandied around about the number of cases, which as people here are suggesting are probably not that accurate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now