Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

8 week old with swine flu?

(12 Posts)
mel1981 Sun 26-Jul-09 23:53:28

Ive checked on the swine flu website and they said to check with GP but obviously cant until tommorrow. Does this sound like SF?
He has temp 38.20 when I last checked so not major high, runny nose & sneezing. Unsettled when he usually sleeps quite well, Keeps being sick after feeds and for a few hours after (more bile) if hes awake, yesterday he had no fever but was chilly but clammy & sweaty and he had had a poss sore throat (sounded v. croaky when crying) for a day or two before.
Just getting a bit worried & trying to refrain from checking him every 5 mins- over protective mummy mode lol

MollieO Sun 26-Jul-09 23:55:18

Don't you have an out of hours service you can call. Our GP has a recorded message with a phone number. If not call NHS Direct.

kormanotbeforebumsexsurely Sun 26-Jul-09 23:56:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

yummymummy310 Mon 27-Jul-09 08:57:02

sounds possible and certainly worth checking it out, how is he today? Hope you manage to get him seen by GP x

mel1981 Mon 27-Jul-09 10:39:33

Thanks for the replies.
Typical his temp has gone down! but he is still really snuffely/snotty and very tired today is it still worth checking with the GP? or is it not worth bothering if he no longer has high temp?

LIZS Mon 27-Jul-09 10:41:04

If he's still being sick then worth seeing gp as they can dehydrate very quickly.

yummymummy310 Mon 27-Jul-09 10:53:48

with an 8 week old think it's worth getting him checked over just to be safe, be careful to keep him away from others with flu type symptoms though as we were asked to come down to the doctors surgery initially so were actually there when were contagious, if at all possible would be great if someone could come to you but I know doctors are a bit inundated, would take advice from GP over the phone they are doing call backs at our surgery now.

We had swine flu and it made me and my eldest girl quite poorly so better to be cautious with little ones. Fact temperature has gone down it very good sign whether he has got it or not. Seems a bit random how people get it as touch wood my husband hasn't got it and mu Mum's partner didn't get it even though all the ladies did typical! x

mel1981 Mon 27-Jul-09 17:50:28

eventually spoke to DR after being passed about a bit. He thinks its prob another bug and not swine flu. But to get back in contact if temp gets any higher as it went up to 38.7 again. so will have to keep an eye on him.
Thanks for all the help smile

LadyLotty Mon 27-Jul-09 19:50:14

my little one (7wks) had high temp and it was just below 38C -- i took him to A&E for him to be checkd up but they admitted him into paediatric ward and monitored him for 5 days til his temperature completely went away. babies this small are really fragile you cant be too careful really. mine didnt have swine flu but there are thousands of other viruses out there. has yours had his first immunisation?

whomovedmychocolate Mon 27-Jul-09 19:54:34

mel1981 - sounds like you have this under control now but if you do need to go to A&E or the doctors surgery ring first. Most surgeries now have a protocol in place where you use a different part of the building if you have suspected SF or indeed anything contagious. This area is cleaned more (allegedly) and has less stuff in it for you to contaminate (toys are removed for example). So it's really important you let them know to avoid having to wait in a contaminated space or indeed contaminating it.

It is really scary when they get sick when so little. I remember it well.

yummymummy310 Mon 27-Jul-09 20:00:38

yeah we all had to wear masks etc when we went to 'flu clinic' bit depressing but can see why they have to do it x

mel1981 Mon 27-Jul-09 20:57:20

ladylottie Yeah he had them last week but he just slept after no other reactions thank goodness.

Thanks for the advice whomovedmychocolate I always forget about things like that, will remember to ring if we need to go.

Dr seemed quite confident it was nothing to worry about- supposingly its quite common for babies to sick up bile on a regular basis! hmm Ive never heard of this or had it with my others- but then hes the Dr!
Hes still snotty & temp up and down but nothing too drastic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now