Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD authorised for tamiflu but not sure?

(10 Posts)
Dysgu Sun 26-Jul-09 22:21:25

I was just reading a thread that made me think about checking DD1's symptoms.

She has had a temperature of 38+ since last Wednesday which we have been treating with Calprofen. This has been bringing it down for a few hours - then we redose when it increases again.

She has a cough that has come on in the pst 48 hours.

She says her throat is ok but that her head hurts sometimes. She is 2.10 yo so I have to take her word for it.

She is not eating much but is drinking lots. She is weeing lots.

She is clingy and whingy (sp?).

TBH I did the questionnaire on the pandemic website to confirm that she did not have SF. I thought she just had a bug or perhaps was teething - she has had all of these symptom before.

And it says she has been authorised for tamiflu.

So does she have it?

yummymummy310 Sun 26-Jul-09 22:53:10

It's hard to say as there have been some vey mild cases and odd ones a little more serious like ours, if she's had symptoms for so long it may not be worth bothering with the tamiflu as it is most effective in the first 48 hours but please don't take my word for it as I'm not medically trained. I think you need advice over the phone I'd phone your gp out of hours number if I were you for advice as she is under 5 so you are allowed to contact them as she's in an at risk group.

If you are managing to keep her temperature down and she's breathing ok it doesnt really matter if it's swine flu or not as you are doing the right things for that or any other nasty virus. Although if there is a chance is swine flu would monitor her carefully as in some children it can cause problems with breathing like my little girl had but think from what I've read on here she had a bad dose of it most children don't get affected as badly. My other little girl was just hot with a head ache, sore throat and cough.

Hope she's well soon x

Dysgu Sun 26-Jul-09 23:08:35

Thank you Yummymummy310. Now I am unsure what to do. I do think that she will shit whatever it is by herself - but I am typically not into giving them medicine very often.

I also have a 7mo who seems to have a bit of a temperature but I think that is all. She is snuffly and her routine has changed. I think I am just looking for symptoms now hmm

I read that tamiflu needs to be taken in the first 48 hours and shortens the symptoms by a day or so. She has been like this for 4 or 5 days now so I imagine she is nearing the end anyway.

Of course, we just have to hope that no one else comes down with it (if she does have it) as we are off on holiday on Friday with DP's family and to a family wedding!

I think I will leave it and see how she is in the morning - she is sleeping in with us so it is easy to check on her.

Wish I hadn't done the questionnaire now hmm

yummymummy310 Sun 26-Jul-09 23:17:44

yeah in some ways we'd be better not knowing! But with my little girl was a good job I did as wouldn't have expected her to suddenly get worse if I hadn't. But think she was unlucky to react like that.

I wasn't sure even if we'd been correctly diagnosed til I got it and then I knew as feel really ill. My mum on the other hand was over it in 5 days and fine now.

It seems to be like how long is a piece of string which I think is why the doctors are panicing a bit.

Hope you don't have it and enjoy wedding x

P.S. It may be worth considering getting the tamiflu for your littlest if they are only just coming down with what ever it is but you'd phone someone for proper advice like your GP's out of hours number not just go online as you've an under 1 so you're allowed.

OrangeFish Sun 26-Jul-09 23:29:28

Obviously, it is not as if we can diagnose over the internet not having idea of how severe the symptoms of your DD are, or what are we expected to look for in a description.

The only thing I would said is that if you have been authorised for it (and I have been just told that only 10% of the people get authorised to have it), perhaps is a good idea to use it.

From what I read, you can contact the GP if she is not getting any better by the fifth day. So, if you have the tamiflu, advice from the swine flu line, and she is not getting suddenly worse... why to distract the out of hours doctor who may have more urgent cases to deal with than confirming the advice of the swine flu line?

Dysgu Sun 26-Jul-09 23:34:50

Really - is it true that only 10% are being authorised? I thought, as she was authorised when I thought she just had/has a bug, that they must be erring on the side of caution.

I will pick it up in the morning and give it to her then.

As for the baby, I think she is fine - but I thought DD1 was fine too. Will check liklihood of her catching it now and see if they authorise her to have it tomorrow...

yummymummy310 Sun 26-Jul-09 23:47:23

I meant contact gp for the under 1 year old if they have symptoms as that is advice for under 1's not to go on line, particularly if she seems very hot. Tamiflu is supposed to stop serious things like pneumonia developing aswell as reduce illness by a day as it stops virus reproducing to a certain extent if you take it early. There is a bit of a debate as to the rights and wrongs of that I think but my girls took it and recovered very quickly I took it but may have been a bit late and I got more poorly than they did so who knows! Hope you are all well soon what ever it is x

OrangeFish Sun 26-Jul-09 23:48:16

That's what I have been told, but I was told that here in mumsnet when I was wondering if we were using an important part of the tamiflu stock to treat normal flu. So please don't take my word for it.

Dysgu Sun 26-Jul-09 23:54:26

Thank you both for advice, chat, being there for me to mull things over with.

I will see how they both are in the morning. Will check in with GP for the baby if she still seems hot and grouchy - they were both preemies so always wonder if I should err on the side of caution.

Thanks again.

yummymummy310 Mon 27-Jul-09 08:35:15

I would do if I were you but then we've had swine flu so that's made me cautious, hope they are both well today x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now