Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Well DC and I all have swine flu and its actually not that bad

(7 Posts)
memoo Sun 26-Jul-09 18:29:27

I have been really worrying about this especially as I am 31 weeks pregnant. DC are on tamiflu and I am on relenza. DH isn't feeling great but no temp at the mo so not sure if he is going to come down with it too.

I'm not sure what I was so worried about really, its actually not that bad, just like having a bad cold. Kids temps are a bit up and down but dosed up all calpol they are sat up watching DVD's.

I have "underlying Health issues" as I have GD but even I'm not feeling too bad. Very achy and haven't moved of the couch all day but certainly don't feel on deaths doors!!

Just wanted to reasure people really that it isn't the end of the world if you do get it.

GwarchodwrPlant Sun 26-Jul-09 18:32:06

It's reassuring to hear 'another' side to it after all the scary stories and I'm glad you're not feeling to rough but I do believe that it affects different people differently so you are probably one of the lucky ones! At least you can be reassured that if the virus does turn nastier come winter time then you will already have some natural immunity to it!

UndertheBoredwalk Sun 26-Jul-09 18:36:05

We had similar experience memoo, DD and I both got it, DD suffered V little tbh, temp a bit up and down but mostly easily controlled with calpol and no worse than other illnesses she's had. I had 2 days of feeling pretty rotton, but even then I could get up and deal with sorting DD and cooking etc.
I was surprised at how mild it was given all the hype!

memoo Sun 26-Jul-09 19:23:40

I've been like you Boredwalk, feeling rotten but still able to sort myself out enough to do the stuff I need to. Glad you and your DD are ok.

I know that it does affect everyone differently but just wanted to let people know that even when you have under lying health issues its still not the end of the world if you get it. We have been lucky but the amount of people who have had serious complications from it are in the minority thankfully.

I know I have certainly felt reassured when i have read peoples stories on here about it not being too bad and so just wanted to be able to do the same thing.

yummymummy310 Sun 26-Jul-09 19:53:37

you guys have been really lucky I've been knocked off my feet and have a secondary infection with fluid on my lung. My little girl had an accute asthma attack even though she's never had asthma and ended up in childrens unable to breathe. Was given 10 puffs of ventalin and a course of steroids and has recovered amazingly quick though. My second daughter was lucky like you and wasn't too ill.

Having said that with tamiflu, antibiotics and a truck load of pain killers am finally feeling a little bit better! Think it's important not to forget yourself as I was so worried for kids I got it worse and an infection in the end.

Glad you guys haven't been too poorly but is very important to monitor people carefully as some people can be unlucky like us.

Hope everyones well soon x

MovingOutOfBlighty Sun 26-Jul-09 19:55:27

Just saying the same on another thread.

Have severe asthma that has hospitalised me several times in last year and swine flu is about one of the lightest flus I have had in recent memory.

I do have a very mucky chest still but not feeling bad at all!

Hope you feel better soon Yummy

yummymummy310 Sun 26-Jul-09 20:22:56

thank you, if you have a mucky chest may be worth checking for infection? Maybe just to be on the safe side as you can get a chest infection after flu. Glad you didn't suffer too much, we were unlucky I think, have been bit fed up. Like you say it can be really mild but in odd occassions like us it can be bit more dramatic so worth keeping an eye on in my experience.

Keep well x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now