Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

unsure of helpline diagnosis

(6 Posts)
unavailable Sun 26-Jul-09 14:23:44

Today I woke up feeling dreadful, and at dp's insistence have phoned the swine flu hotline. They say I probably have swine flu and should take anti virals. Dp has now gone to collect Tamiflu.

I havent got all the symptoms (no cough or sore throat atm) and am worried about taking Tamiflu if I have been misdiagnosed. Could I be leaving myself open to a drug resistant strain later in the year if I take it now.

Not thinking straight, so this may be very stupid question.

Elibean Sun 26-Jul-09 15:46:55

What symptoms do you have? I know two kids who have swine flu, they didn't have the cough for a few days...started with temp and diarrhoea. Another two I nkow have had sore throats but not coughs.

Re the Tamiflu, I don't think the risk is making yourself resistant, iyswim, more that if lots of people are treated with Tamiflu there is more likelihood of the virus mutating into a Tamiflu-resistant version. In which case anti-virals would'nt help regardless of what you do now.

Not 100% sure, but thats my understanding - WMMC or Musu would be able to clarify! smile

Hope you feel better v soon.

whomovedmychocolatestarfish Sun 26-Jul-09 15:51:16

Hello - blimey I'm not being used as a source of expertise am I? shock

You can't make yourself resistant, the bug becomes resistant. Much like head lice just scoff at the bug stuff you put in kids hair these days, the virus just gets smarter and ignores it. Much better to treat and get over swine flu and then you will hopefully only get it lightly next time if at all.

If you have the irresistable urge to lie down (possibly to die- don't worry you won't really) and hurt all over - it's probably flu.

Elibean Sun 26-Jul-09 16:58:54

grin

Of course.

unavailable Sun 26-Jul-09 19:32:51

Thanks Elibean.
Sorry for delay in replying. I have been snoozing.

I have temperature and nausea, and feel completely exhausted. I wasnt sick until I took first dose of Tamiflu this afternoon , but then promptly threw up. I guess I wont become resistant if I continue not to be able to keep it down!

I am supposed to be packing as we are moving next week - great timing!

Elibean Sun 26-Jul-09 19:44:08

Gawd, poor you. We're supposed to be moving in early September, I live in dread of us all catching the flu just before d-day shock

Hope you feel better v v fast, and make sure you only take Tamiflu after eating something. I'm told it makes a big difference to ability to keep it down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now