Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cousin hospitalised with a brain infection following swine flu

(8 Posts)
whomovedmychocolate Sun 26-Jul-09 09:12:06

Not here - in Australia. They thought she had encephalitis but it turned out it was a swine flu complication shock

She's exactly the same age as me as well. She is incredibly fit and healthy most of the time.

Apparently she will be fine in time but it was touch and go for a few days.

edam Sun 26-Jul-09 09:14:56

Blimey, so glad they think the outlook is positive.

Doc friend of mine told me a mate of his in Australia has five pregnant women in ITU with swine flu. eek. (Mate is an ITU consultant, not responsible for the pregnancies!)

jetcat32 Sun 26-Jul-09 09:40:06

glad you cleared that up edam, i thought - blimey, he's been busygrin

cornsillk Sun 26-Jul-09 09:43:36

That's scary.

ZZZenAgain Sun 26-Jul-09 09:47:21

shock

whomovedmychocolate Sun 26-Jul-09 09:59:15

Apparently people in Australia are getting it much worse than us (of course that could be a genetic predisposition thing) and of course this is anecdotal but all 36 people out there I know have had it and been very sickly. None of them have recovered in under three weeks and most of them have had complications of varying degrees (including one sadly who was in the very early stages of pregnancy and miscarried).

I can only hope it's just a bad patch since they all live near each other and not the shape of things to come over here

LilRedWG Sun 26-Jul-09 10:02:27

wmmc - fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for your cousin.

Elibean Sun 26-Jul-09 12:53:56

wmmc sad

Bad (and scary) news about Australia, and I'm very sorry your cousin is/has been so ill. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now