Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

mum in hospital - is this swine flu?

(6 Posts)
bronteE Sat 25-Jul-09 23:10:14

My mum has been rushed into hospital with sudden pneumonia, but no one seems to think it is swine flu, because she has no cough. However she has been vomiting and has had aching limbs for the last few days and then this pneumonia hit her out of nowhere. No one is testing her for swine flu because there is no cough, but is this always present? Did anyone here have swine flu diagnosed/tested positive but had no cough? I know a chest infection is pretty close to a cough anyway. Has anyone had swine flu with sickness and then a bad chest?

bronteE Sun 26-Jul-09 09:07:12

anybody?

whomovedmychocolate Sun 26-Jul-09 09:09:32

How old is she? Pneumonia is a bacterial infection which can strike anyone who has a suppressed immune system. If she is older than 65 it's not that uncommon. Does she smoke? A chest infection can lead to pneumonia quite quickly if untreated. Sorry. Hope she gets over it.

bronteE Sun 26-Jul-09 13:05:51

Thank you. She's 62. Never smoked, and didn't have a chest infection before this came on suddenly. Anyone think this sounds like swine flu?

whomovedmychocolate Sun 26-Jul-09 15:33:42

Does she have a fever and no desire to eat? She should be tested for swine flu in this case in any case. Flu affects the body's protective lining in the throat, nose and lungs which increases the likelihood of getting bacterial complications such as pneumonia. But the real point is, it doesn't matter what causes the pneumonia - the swine flu won't kill her but pneumonia can, so the best place for her is hospital. Be reassured though that for the vast majority of healthy people who get pneumonia - with five days of IV antibiotics, they make a full recovery.

ZZZenAgain Sun 26-Jul-09 15:35:30

hope the medical care helps her recover quickly bronte. It could be swine flu. I am sure they will check at the hospital

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now