Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD1 diagnosed, on relenza and now pain when breathing

(11 Posts)
jetcat32 Sat 25-Jul-09 22:05:39

my 12 year old has been taking relenza for 2 days now. Diagnosed on Thursday and given meds. Her main sympton is the coughing, which is really dry and every few seconds. She is now complaining that when she breathes out, she is getting a pain in her tummy - right in the middle. SHe cant take a full breath in either.

Is this related to the SF? She has very mild asthma, no inhaler for a year or so now as she seems to be growing out of it, but i am wondering if this is more asthma than SF??

bubbles4 Sat 25-Jul-09 22:17:50

could she have a secondary infection such as bronchitis as well as the sf,it mjght be worth giving the out of hours doc a ring,ours are always willing to give advice over the phone.

jetcat32 Sat 25-Jul-09 22:20:25

thanks bubbles. Am just looking on the nhs direct site now, trying to find out info once been diagnosed with SF. It is all about how to diganose it though, not what happens after!!

She is asleep now finally - dosed up on paracetamol. If she is no better in the morning, i will heed you advice.

Many thanks

blinks Sun 26-Jul-09 00:13:20

can she speak in sentences?

i think a call to NHS Direct is a good idea.

steaming can help in meantime.

luvaduck Sun 26-Jul-09 00:16:01

she could have a secondary pneumonia which needs antibiotics

i would call doc soon. asap if she is breathing fast or is more unwell, even if middle of night

jetcat32 Sun 26-Jul-09 09:38:47

just rang out of hours now. She was up during the night, but seemed to be settling a little. Not so good this morning thoughsad

so thanks for the advice, and just waiting for GP to ring me back

bubbles4 Sun 26-Jul-09 12:53:41

how is she now?

NervousNutty Sun 26-Jul-09 12:59:51

I thought i'd read that relenza wasn't to be given to asthamtics. Feel free to correct me if wrong though anybody.

jetcat32 Sun 26-Jul-09 13:09:14

she has kidney problems nutty, so cant take tamiflu.

The nurse has been out this morning to assess her - in full protective gearshock She doesnt think it is a secondary infection, but she has damaged her diaphragm and/or the muscles around her ribs through all the coughingsad

Got to call them back out if she gets any worse. Thanks all the reassurance x

yummymummy310 Sun 26-Jul-09 21:25:22

we've had swine flu here, one lttle girls not too bad, I've had a secondary chest infection and my eldest little girl who's never had asthma had what appeared to be like an accute asthma attack due to a 'flu induced wheeze' and was treated with steroids and 10 puffs of an inhaler followed by 4 puffs every 4 hours although obviously nobody should do that without taking medical advice. As it's a respiritory condition swine flu think it's worth keeping a more careful eye on asthmatics definately.

Hope she is feeling better and wasn't too upset by full protective gear we had all that too is depressing isn't it x

jetcat32 Sun 26-Jul-09 21:34:22

it is ym - i think i have seen too many 'Outbreak' type films - and that episode of ER where they kids came in with smallpox or something!

She was non-plussed by it all to be honest, dont think she was really paying attention, as she couldnt stop coughing. DD2(2) thought they were playing a game, and wanted her masksmile I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP at night, so she is used to people wearing masks grin

Hope you and your family are all ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now