Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Wil bfing help dd2 (3months) fight off SF?

(7 Posts)
whelk Fri 24-Jul-09 20:38:08

Feel as though dd2 is so vulnerable at just 3mo especially as dd1 has confirmed cases at nursery. Is there anything I can do to help dd2 as she just seems so little. Im not usually a panicker (OK well sometimes I am)- there should be a worried emoticon on here!!

Wigeon Fri 24-Jul-09 21:32:24

There is some really useful advice here (linked on tthe Swine Flu part of Mumsnet). The gist of the bit which is relevant to what you are asking is:

Wash your hands. Wash your baby's hands. Wash their clothes. Take special care over your baby’s hygiene, and keep surroundings,
cots and other equipment clean. Have frequent skin-to-skin contact with your baby.

Breastfeeding

The risk for swine flu influenza transmission through breast milk is unknown, but good nutrition, with
breast milk where possible, is important for recovery from flu and other infections.

Shell001 Fri 24-Jul-09 22:20:32

Im worrying too my DS2 is 3 months and im bf and my DS1 23 months starts nursery in september and im thinking should i change the date and put it back ..

Im not going out to shops town just for walks and cleaning all the time at night .. so worried for both little babies ..

Have stopped friends coming round with little ones and family as sister has swine flu in her office ..

DP thinks im over the top .. but just protecting as much as i can ...

fruitstick Fri 24-Jul-09 22:28:49

I'm breastfeeding DS2 (5 months) and am planning to carry on over the winter at least.

I'm refusing to let it stop us do anything we would normally do though (go out, see friends etc). This pandemic could go on for 6 months or more.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 24-Jul-09 22:33:19

I only understand at a simplistic level, but I think that as soon as your body is exposed to an illness, your body starts to make antibodies and those antibodies will be contained in your breastmilk so will offer your ds some very worthwhile protection.

If nothing else, it's the best form of nutrition for him so if he does get ill he will be able to recover more quickly.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 24-Jul-09 22:33:54

sorry op - your dd blush

Shell001 Fri 24-Jul-09 22:34:59

I just read that its peeking this week and next and came clam down for abit ...
Yeah im planning to feed now longer than previously planned.
I fed my DS1 for 13 months and was thinking of shortening it this time but i rather continue ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now