Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If so many people are getting swine flu in the summer...

(11 Posts)
TsarChasm Fri 24-Jul-09 20:35:51

..isn't that a hopeful sign that we might be over the worst by the Autumn?

Or is that not how it works?

Ripeberry Fri 24-Jul-09 21:49:14

No, afraid not sad as in winter the normal flu will be out there together with the winter vomiting bug and nasty colds.
Just make sure you eat healthy and also take vitamin D and Zinc supplements to keep your immune system strong.
I'm giving my kids a daily kid's vitamin pill, just to boost them.

TsarChasm Fri 24-Jul-09 22:37:44

sad Oh well, it was just an optimistic thought.

kathyis6incheshigh Fri 24-Jul-09 22:40:35

It is good that it started in the spring/summer though, as it gives them time to get the vaccine ready before the winter flu season. It would have been worse if it all kicked off 6 months later.

TsarChasm Fri 24-Jul-09 22:42:47

Does anyone know if you can get it twice? Even if it mutates?

Hulababy Fri 24-Jul-09 22:44:47

Tsar - noone knows. Depends on how and if it mutates. Don't forget to that it is just as likely to become weaker if it mutates as it is to become stronger.

TsarChasm Fri 24-Jul-09 22:53:07

That'd be a good outcome Hula.

Oh well...<awaits fluey fate>.

Elibean Fri 24-Jul-09 22:55:02

I wish they'd work on a Winter Vaccine, combining immunity to the vomiting bug, RSV, flu and general snot...

winestein Fri 24-Jul-09 23:06:33

Sorry to pour cold water on this, but I read something on the immunity/mutation thing last night (as partner has chronic heart disease I am concerned). The body is unlikely to recognise a previous incarnation of swine flu, so if it mutates those that had it previously will not be immune. I will try to find the link.

winestein Fri 24-Jul-09 23:13:02

this is it.

It was the explanation by GDG I was referring to.

jetcat32 Sat 25-Jul-09 10:54:14

my DD1 has SF. I was told by the docs that she will be resistant to this strain, but if the virus mutates, she wont be resistant to the new formsad

Just hoping my little 2 year old doesnt get it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now