Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

NHS Website mentions under ones having preventative tamiflu. Anyone done this?

(10 Posts)
whelk Fri 24-Jul-09 20:30:29

I was surprised to see this and it has set me wondering about my 3mo old. Anyone?????

swissmiss Fri 24-Jul-09 20:39:43

do you have the link?
not heard/seen this one yet. am very surprised as from speaking to my GP last week there is limited evidence of effectiveness of using tamiflu to treat under 1's when they've got the virus so how would using it as a preventative measure work? btw, I've got an under 1 plus another 2 under 5's.

whelk Fri 24-Jul-09 20:44:28

Its on here: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pandemic-flu/Pages/QA.aspx

Qally Fri 24-Jul-09 20:49:09

I'm extremely surprised as there have been concerns about safety in under-ones. DS had it because he did have flu (no idea if it was other seasonal or swine, but probably the latter) and the Tamiflu definitely helped him. But as you can't know your child has it until they show symptoms, I'd hold off before giving drugs that have side effects and may not be necessary.

DS was 8 months at the time and was pretty poorly, poor little chap. Is fine now. But no, I'd not give a baby Tamiflu unless there was a serious reason - namely, he had flu.

swissmiss Fri 24-Jul-09 20:49:48

Thanks! Off to take a look.

Qally Fri 24-Jul-09 20:53:32

Where does it say that they advise prophylaxis? Reading the link all I could find was:

"Can babies under the age of one take antivirals?

Tamiflu and Relenza are not licensed for use in babies under the age of one. However, after evaluating all the available evidence, the European Medicines Agency has advised that children under one may be treated with Tamiflu, considering that:

* the appropriate dosage to treat children aged under one is 2-3mg/kg twice daily for five days,
* children are preferably treated under medical supervision, and
* dilution of the capsule content can be used to prepare the dose.

Can my baby take Tamiflu as a preventative measure?

The balance of benefit and risk for using Tamiflu for the prophylaxis (prevention) of swine flu in babies who are not suffering from flu symptoms is not clear. A decision on whether this is recommended should be taken by an expert in the care of young children. The recommended course for prevention in the under-ones is 2mg/kg once a day for 10 days (but should not exceed 10 days).

The first line of protection for babies aged under one is respiratory and hand hygiene and frequent cleaning of surfaces, toys and equipment."

It reads more as if they've not totally banned it, so a child who is especially vulnerable and living in a family where everyone else is infected might be treated, but the advice is generally against? Have I missed another part of the advice?

swissmiss Fri 24-Jul-09 20:59:22

Imo, I think you'd have a hard time convincing a pediatrician ("an expert in the care of young children") to prescribe it as a prophylaxis unless your baby had some signigicant other medical condition.

My GP explained that it's been decided to let under 1's have it in the hope that it prevents complications from SF developing.

whelk Fri 24-Jul-09 20:59:51

Thats all I read Qally, which is why I said mentioned rather than recommended (sorry to be a pedant). Its a bit ambiguous I thought. Glad to hear your DS has recovered

swissmiss Fri 24-Jul-09 21:00:59

Qally - I don't read it that they "advise" it either. Just it could be considered if deemed necessary.

Qally Fri 24-Jul-09 21:12:36

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you. And thank you - was a bit alarming, but he is totally back to normal now (which translates pretty much into "happily trashing the house"!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now