Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine Flu has now ruined my holidays.....

(13 Posts)
snackattack Fri 24-Jul-09 12:59:56

Feeling REALLY down at the moment. Dd(1) has swine flu - we are about 4 days into it and she's still not anywhere near right. Still lying on the sofa with headache, aching limbs, cold symptoms, temperature etc etc. We were supposed to be going to Wales the day before last which we had to cancel. Dd (2) and myself have been housebound with dd(1) all week and she is particularly upset about not going to Wales. We are supposed to be going to the USA next week - have now had to cancel the whole trip as well.... both dd's very upset but we can't risk it and needed to cancel sooner rather than later to ensure we got money back from hotel bookings. We were due to go for 3 weeks so now have a long stretch of summer ahead with no plans and upset kids and the possibility of one or more of us also getting it. Our house is on the market - we have had to cancel all viewings. Our dream house came on the market 2 days ago - and my dh (who is still going to work!) tried to get a viewing but was refused access to the house because the woman selling it has asthma and had heard that we had swine flu.... I feel like outcasts!! Someone should paint a bloody great red cross on my front door!! Don't get me wrong, I do understand that people don't want to get this but I'm feeling so down about the whole holiday thing and the fact my dd is so sick and the fact that I'm tied to the house with another child (age 5) who is perfectly well but going bananas because we can't get out!!
Sorry to moan- just needed to get that off my chest!!
Thanks for listening.

Botbot Fri 24-Jul-09 13:23:26

Huge sympathies. We're supposed to be going on holiday next week and I'm terrified the dreaded swine flu will descend before we go (lots of cases at dd's nursery and my workplace) - exactly what has happened to you, you poor thing. It seems so unfair.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure there'll be lots of people in the same position (very possibly including me, by next week!)

sarah293 Fri 24-Jul-09 13:25:05

Message withdrawn

Ewe Fri 24-Jul-09 13:26:59

Maybe you could get a last minute deal somewhere when everyone is better?

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Fri 24-Jul-09 13:30:45

massive sympathies and hope your can grab a break later down the line - perhaps its fate then you get a buyer you would miss when your away then you get your dream home..... we due to go away next weekend and im panicking in case we get it and have to cancel too so it must be awful to be actually inthat predicement.

snackattack Fri 24-Jul-09 14:06:45

Thanks everyone.. hope none of you find yourselves in our predicament. Have just spent 20 mins trying to make crying 5 year old understand why she won't be seeing Mickey Mouse after all... i could cry myself!

Ripeberry Fri 24-Jul-09 14:17:54

So sorry for you. All these things always seem to happen at the same time. Maybe you could reschedule for another time. Your DC will still get to see Mickey Mouse but maybe next year.
At least you have managed to get most of your money back.
When you are all feeling better, maybe just go on a nice outing somewhere just to get away for a bit.
Do you not have any relatives or friends that can take your 5yr old out for the day?
Or are you being shunned by everyone?
A friend of mine, came back from France a few weeks ago and her DD had already finished school, but people in shops were interested to know why her DD was NOT in school. When she explained they all said they automatically thought she was off school with swine flu! hmm
As if she would be going out into the community!

Elibean Fri 24-Jul-09 14:34:52

Poor, poor you and dds sad

Have had holidays cancelled due to illness in the past, and its the pits - even for adults. If no one is ill in a few days' time, could you find a short break on lastminute.com maybe??

Re the house sale part, fwiw, we've lost two dream houses even without SF this past year...market is still so crazy. Sympathies, and hope all the frustrations go away soon and let you get on with your lives.

Botbot Sat 25-Jul-09 14:59:26

DD currently in bed with a temperature. DP off to get Tamiflu. You see, I was right smile.

Hope you're feeling a bit better today.

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Sat 25-Jul-09 18:34:00

botbot when you due to go and where? hope it passes in time. I am leaving this thread b4 i get cursed.

Botbot Sat 25-Jul-09 20:07:58

Lake District so luckily didn't spend a huge amount of money or have to go on a plane or anything. And I took out insurance, something I'd never normally do for a UK holiday. Still a complete pain though. I'm hoping dd will be over the worst by next sat, but am worried dp will get it, as he's the driver! I can drive, but am very nervous and only ever go to Sainsbury's and the library - certainly never 300 miles up a motorway. Aaagh.

Botbot Sat 25-Jul-09 20:08:35

sorry, it's next Saturday we're supposed to be going.

yummymummy310 Sun 26-Jul-09 17:48:07

hi there, so sorry to hear that, we too have felt isolated literally! Like you say big red cross and no understanding that you are not quarantined forever in my opinion! I wouldn't dream of putting anyone at risk of getting it but would appreciate a more sympathetic mannor. Even in the doctors I was sent to flu clinic when I really wasn't well enough to leave the house, told to go to a door that was locked, I rang reception the receptionist came and I said I wouldn't come too near and she said don't worry i won't in a very very unsympathtic tone and scuttled off fast as her little legs would carry her - nice bedside mannor!

I had to wear a mask and sit there for 40 minutes waiting, luckily when doc came was very sympathetic although cautious understandably, picked up on a secondary infection and sorted me with some antibiotics.

She also agreed to let me bring kids down to be checked over who were 7 days in to the flu just to ease my mind and they were fine. My first little girls had it bad at first you see and couldn't breathe within less than 24 hr of symptoms. Luckily she'd already started on the tamiflu and the doc had told me to take her to childrens if her breathing was rapid and gasping, we did take her and they put her on steroids and an inhaler but she's off it now just over a week later - what a relief.

Just me to shift it now, think I'm winning a little bit at last as so fed up of sitting around feeling horrid and a bit scared.

Plus is hard to get help when you are contaminated so think I did too much and that's what's made it worse.

Hope you manage to re-arrange some sort of a break and feel better soon. Least you didn't come down with it when you were away that could've been hard x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now