Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you are pregnant and have a cold....

(16 Posts)
kathyis6incheshigh Fri 24-Jul-09 11:37:15

Would you bother ringing NHS direct as the NHS swine flu symptom checker seems to be advising me to do?

I don't have a temperature, I just have a normal cold with runny nose, slight chest pains and a bit of a headache. Really not that bad at all. I don't want to clog the system up for people who are really sick, and I'm sure all they'll tell me is 'Yes, you probably haven't got swine flu though there's a small chance it might be but even if you have you are clearly having it mildly.'
It's purely because I'm pg that it's telling me to ring up, I feel.

I am not going out much anyway atm because I'm working from home.

AIBU to ignore it?

MrsHappy Fri 24-Jul-09 11:42:13

No, YANBU.

Would you normally call the doctor over a runny nose in pregnancy?
Obviously if you get a high fever it might be worth calling them, but even then I probably wouldn't unless I felt truly dreadful. Most people's bodies (pregnant or not) are going to be perfectly caable of fighting off this flu unassisted.

Ledodgy Fri 24-Jul-09 11:42:44

I didn't know you were pregnant! Congratulations. grin

Hmm I'm not sure. If it is swine flu would you take relenza? If not there's no point ringing unless it gets worse imo.

rubyslippers Fri 24-Jul-09 11:44:56

i had a stinking cold/sore throat last week

GP said if a fever started to call straight away but if not, then to treat as a normal cold with fluids and rest

am 29 weeks PG BTW

kathyis6incheshigh Fri 24-Jul-09 11:45:18

I'm glad you agree with me MrsHappy. No, I absolutely would not call the doc over a slight cold in pregnancy!
Even if they were to offer me Relenza I wouldn't want it because I do seem to be fighting it off perfectly fine without.
I don't know, they set up these online tools to be better-safe-than-sorry to a ridiculous degree and then complain about resources being overstretched by the 'worried well' grin

TigerFeet Fri 24-Jul-09 11:46:11

I have a streaming cold too (32+6). I've decided not to panic or ring anyone unless my temp goes above 38. It's staying put at 37 atm so I'm sticking with lying on the sofa and moaning occasionally about how shit I feel [manflu]

kathyis6incheshigh Fri 24-Jul-09 11:46:42

Thanks Ledodgy!

Ruby, I'm 28 weeks. Your doc's advice sounds sensible and what I would expect.

MarshaBrady Fri 24-Jul-09 11:47:34

I am just getting over a cold (at 20 weeks) and didn't phone. I thought that the (very small, probably) risk of taking Relenza wasn't worth it as I didn't feel too bad.

Mainly no fever and could easily be active while feeling a bit horrible.

rubyslippers Fri 24-Jul-09 11:47:58

I got rid of it in a few days

lots of honey and lemon and some extra vit C

Congrats on your PG smile

kathyis6incheshigh Fri 24-Jul-09 11:48:07

Hope you feel better soon Tigerfeet.

kathyis6incheshigh Fri 24-Jul-09 11:49:49

So glad everyone agrees.
Am drinking hot lemon as I type this! And it is having the usual beneficial effect.

TigerFeet Fri 24-Jul-09 11:50:15

You too Kathy

I seem to remember you've been on the Hyperemesis threads - how are you now with that? Being slightly ill seems to have triggered mine off again, but hard to say if the sickness is part of the bug or is HG.

kathyis6incheshigh Fri 24-Jul-09 11:53:15

I'm still feeling sick most of the time but not horrendously so except when I do too much, tried to stop taking Cyclizine the other day but couldn't keep food down without it.
Mainly just hugely resentful about the fact that I still feel sick at 28 weeks! But otherwise not so bad smile
How bad is yours these days?

TigerFeet Fri 24-Jul-09 12:02:42

Not bad most of the time, I've stopped the stemetil, still sick occasionally but only once or twice a day on odd days rather than once or twice an hour grin

kathyis6incheshigh Fri 24-Jul-09 12:07:01

Yes it is much better to only be sick every day or two rather than every hour grin
Glad you've made so much progress!

Liskey Fri 24-Jul-09 17:55:25

This seems to be very sensible advice - unlike the panic from the media.

I'm 15+2 and have a vile sore throat and blocked/runny nose (it alternates) no fever. I'm not feeling too bad - just cold like but all this worry from the news and well meaning relatives isn't helping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now