Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So you have a cold NOT swine flu , are you conscious of people looking at you sideways and avoiding you when you sneeze in public ?

(47 Posts)
CaptainUnderpants Thu 23-Jul-09 22:38:55

I have a cold not swine flu , I have the usual symtpoms of a common cold . no great rise in temp.

So life must go on but how do you avoid the 'looks' in public when you sniff and snneze in your kleenex ! grin

weegiemum Thu 23-Jul-09 22:40:18

I had a cold/cough last week and some people in church moved away from sitting in front of me!

I did not have swine flu. But they moved anyway. I was a bit hmm.

MinkyBorage Thu 23-Jul-09 22:41:20

I have hayfever, think dd might have had sf last week, but I'm getting a very wide berth!!!

CaptainUnderpants Thu 23-Jul-09 22:42:13

I suppose a good way to get to the front of the queue at the post office !

whomovedmychocolate Thu 23-Jul-09 22:42:46

Actually if you want to get a seat on the tube I believe sneezing is quite a good way grin

Yes we have colds at the mo - DS is snot-tastic! People keep looking sideways at us when we go to the shops. hmm

Tis v silly, you have no symptoms but are contagious for a day with swine flu. So for a day you are walking round, feeling fine and contagious and then you feel like shit and probably don't go out for the next week till you aren't - yet people think someone who has a cough must be a carrier.

CaptainUnderpants Thu 23-Jul-09 22:45:08

The thing is I work with pre schoolers , although we are obviously on hols now, but if I was like this a couple of weeks ago I would have been told to stay away from work for a week ' couldn't take any risks you know ! ' hmm

Elibean Fri 24-Jul-09 09:48:35

Yes, have hayfever and slight cold, and am very conscious of sneezles in public smile

Then again, have to admit I washed the dds' hands after visit to public library where there were several very snotty, nasty-coughy LOs spraying everything. It was the coughs more than the snot that I noticed, tbh, deep chesty or barky coughs I'd notice even before SF as both dds have hard time with respiratory illnesses.

Elibean Fri 24-Jul-09 09:49:28

(nasty-coughy meaning nasty coughs, not nasty LOs, obviously!)

vodkaandcoke Fri 24-Jul-09 09:52:34

I went doctors the other day to have my blood taken for something and blew my nose as I also have just a cold. The old lady sat in front of me turned round and glared at me!! I was mortified.

Ledodgy Fri 24-Jul-09 09:54:35

My sil sneezed on the train last week and a young man handed her a wet wipe and said 'You can't be too careful, swine flu and all that'. grin

Katisha Fri 24-Jul-09 09:57:42

I have had hay fever all summer and now a slight cold that has, as usual, turned my sinuses to concrete - I feel I have to announce to everyone at work that it's a cold and not SF. I do feel a bit of a leper.

woodenchair Fri 24-Jul-09 09:57:59

Yes! I had a chest infection a couple of weeks ago with a nasty cough. On the train the other commuters were visible shifting in their seats when i coughed. Got lots of comments and had to start every meeting with an explanation. Glad it's finished now.

Hulababy Fri 24-Jul-09 10:04:02

I had an ear infection a couple of weeks ago and even the GPs were hinting towards SF. My school were releived when I said I wouldn't be in for a week as they too were convinced it had to be SF.

But I have had ear infections before and it felt just like that, albeit with a ehadache thrown in. But the headache can be caused by infection.

I felt like everyone was looking at me and avoiding me!

LilRedWG Fri 24-Jul-09 10:34:55

DH has a bad cold and a temperature, but not swine flu. He flies to the States on business on Sunday and is dreading the glares on the plane - that's if he's even allowed on.

It's almost as if you are not allowed to be ill with anything other than SF at the moment.

AliGrylls Fri 24-Jul-09 10:38:24

Apparently there is a problem with NHS Helpline misdiagnosing. Did anyone hear about the child that was diagnosed with swine flu and it turned out to be meningitis? Parents only just figured it out themselves in time. The people on the helpline seemed to have forgotten that there are illnesses other than SF.

Hulababy Fri 24-Jul-09 10:41:32

LilRed - get him to take paracetamol and then 2 hours lateribuprofen. This will keep any temperature down.

waddlelikeaduck Fri 24-Jul-09 10:41:44

I went to the next sale last week and as I am 6 months pg I can't take anything for my hayfever so several sneezing fits later I had several sale rails to myself!

my oh is paranoid that I'll get SF and die but like I keep telling him , no one comes near me with my hayfever! lol

LilRedWG Fri 24-Jul-09 10:44:44

Hula - will do. He's been taking the brufen so will start him on the paracetamol now.

ThingOne Fri 24-Jul-09 11:12:27

I have hayfever/asthma so even a little cold sounds very dramatic to those around me. "Gosh you've got a bad cough" is a frequent comment grin.

My only concession to the SF panic was not to take communion wine!

PrincessLayer Fri 24-Jul-09 11:14:17

I've got a cold.
I've promised to take the kids to a big soft play place today.

Hopefully I'll be able to use it to my advantage, get a table to myself and read my book in peace. Anyone comes near me I'm going to start sniffling, and maybe chuck in a cough for good measure.

peppapighastakenovermylife Fri 24-Jul-09 11:28:44

Lol me too - I am sneezing and coughing very apologetically in work at the moment.

Nursery have been pretty good as both children have had terrible coughs but been absolutely fine and they havent said anything. Saying that half of nursery always look like a prime case of SF wink

debbiewebweb Fri 24-Jul-09 12:04:41

How do know its a cold and not swine flu LilRed. I thought the main thing that seperates the flu from a cold is a fever as adults don't get fever with a cold! It's very confusing hmm.
Wonder if he'll get on the plane ok, but I guess cold or flu his fever should have gone by sunday.

LilRedWG Fri 24-Jul-09 12:13:09

We have been through the online swine flu checker thingy and it says he doesn't need antivirals and not SF. He would never knowingly put people at risk.

debbiewebweb Fri 24-Jul-09 12:39:04

I'm sure he wouldn't Lilred it's just confusing. My BIL has been really poorly with flu like symptoms but he's sure its not flu/swine flu coz it's not bad enough. Yet a friend of my has been told by her gp that her flu like illness isn't swine flu coz she's too poorly as 'swine flu is very mild'.
So it's just a bit confusing. I'm just going on the basis that its just another flu strain not hugely different than the one that regularly comes round and not to be treated particularly differently either. Hope thats right hmm

KleineMaus Fri 24-Jul-09 12:46:20

I'm really surprised reading this about the level of paranoia about swine flu. I live in the north-east of Scotland and noone is talking about it here. Granted I haven't really been listening to the news lately. As it happens ds and I have largely been staying at home recently as we're potty-training, which is probably a blessing. A friend suggested going to a soft play place but is worried it might expose us to SF. I'm 30 weeks pregnant so I'd really rather avoid it, but until she mentioned it it hadn't occurred to me. Am I being naive?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now