Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tamiflu - side effects?

(34 Posts)
Fibonacci Thu 23-Jul-09 21:42:53

Anyone who has been on tamiflu ... how was it for you?

Did you have unpleasant side effects?

Did it make you feel better quickly?

Julezboo Thu 23-Jul-09 21:49:14

I'm on day 5, I don't think it did make me feel better faster, in fact for 3 hours after taking it i was violently ill each time.

I have also had very itchy skin all over!

Rung the NHS direct who said to persevere! And I did and I still feel like crap

Fibonacci Fri 24-Jul-09 19:33:17

Interesting Julezboo. So sorry you are feeling so crap. Hope you feel much better very soon.

There's been quite a lot of stuff in some of the papers about how the side effects of Tamiflu are worse than the flu itself, but I'd like to hear people's actual experiences of it, so I can make a more informed decision about whether to take it if and when the time comes.

DS & I are both asthmatic and so I was thinking we should ask for it (if we get SF) ... but now I'm not so sure.

Anyone else care to share their experience with Tamiflu?

abraid Fri 24-Jul-09 20:14:02

My 10-year old has been taking it for 48 hours.

No side effects at all. She seems to be getting better.

vjg13 Fri 24-Jul-09 20:16:07

My six year old has taken it for 4 days and had no side effects. She seems much better today too.

Ripeberry Fri 24-Jul-09 20:24:43

If Tamiflu only reduces the effects of the flu by one day...why take it?
In Japan and other countries, some children have tried to harm themselves after taking it.
If you read the enclosed leaflet carefully it says it can cause 'phycotic episodes' and children especially should be watched carefully.
Sod that! All for one day less of feeling crap, your child might badly hurt themselves!

abraid Fri 24-Jul-09 21:36:56

My daughter has asthma. There's no way I wouldn't take drugs for her that might reduce the complications.

I took 1 tamiflu yesterday and within hours, skin was on fire - though not hot to touch - and I had a funny turn to the point I nearly passed out. Rang gp and he told me to stop as it's doubtful whether it actually helps. Now just on paracetamol - not taking any more tamiflu, not going through that experience again.

UndertheBoredwalk Sat 25-Jul-09 15:09:43

DD and I both had a weeks course with no side effects at all, DD got better after a few days on it (although I suspect wuld have done anyway)

JennyPenny22 Sat 25-Jul-09 22:35:45

I have been wondering this too. DD has swine flu and I am meant to be getting Tamiflu in the morning.

Is it true that it is tablets for over 1s? My DD is 18 months - how the hell do you get them to take tablets!?!

UndertheBoredwalk Sun 26-Jul-09 12:05:19

Yes we were given tablets for DD, she's 8 though and was able to take them, but chemist told us we could open them and put them in something (they're capsules)

ForExample Sun 26-Jul-09 12:11:19

Yes, my dd had it - absolutely no side effects and got better significantly quicker than the rest of us, who didn't take it.

And we have plenty of reasons for giving our dd tamiflu ripeberry, and believe me they were pretty good ones.

Cocodrillo Sun 26-Jul-09 19:25:06

DD 5 has been given tamiflu but capsules that she is unable to swallow - so we have no choice but to let the SF run its course. Tried mixing with fromage frais but she refused to eat it, said it tasted disgusting. Her temp is raging, so calling GP in the morning...

Qally Sun 26-Jul-09 19:32:13

My 8 month old was given it. No apparent side effects and he was a lot better in 48 hours (though obviously that might have been on the cards, anyway). My mother and DH had it and no serious side effects either. I didn't take it (too far in by the time we were diagnosed) and was ill a lot longer than anyone else, plus got a chest infection that required antibiotics.

yummymummy310 Sun 26-Jul-09 19:44:16

we mixed it with chocolate source, or hid it in food as my little girl had a very bad case of swine flu initially as she had an accute asthma attack even though she's never had asthma. Luckily had already started tamiflu as had spotted signs early and she has made a speedy recovery although did need an inhaler and a 3 day course of steroids.

Think it depends on your experiences, think my little girl was unlucky, as my other little girl hasn't been that poorly.

It doesn't just reduce symptoms by 1 day it also reduces risk of serious illness like pnemonia. I'm glad I took it as I've got a secondary infection and feel very weak so glad I did take it. Problem is if they do get a bad case and you wait more than 48 hours it doesn't work so it's a bit of a guessing game whether to give them it or not.

The Japan thing seems to have been blown up out of proportion to my understanding as the Japanese were taking so much tamiflu to avoid bird flu that there were so many people on it all the time that there were bound to be some bad reactions. It has been said that although some teenagers did commit suicide on it there is nothing to say the symptoms weren't from the flu and that the suicide rate amoungst teenagers on it was lower than that of the general population.

At the end of the day it's up to each parent but if it does seem to be affecting the child you could always stop giving them it.

Hope your little ones get better soon x

devotion Thu 30-Jul-09 13:44:53

my dd age 3 has had two doses of tamiflu and so far nothing, in fact she seems so good that i dont know whether she has sf and and if i should stop.

she was so ill yesterday.

i am worried about side effects too but dont want her to risk getting any side effects.

my mil has pnemonia from sf.

yummymummy310 Thu 30-Jul-09 15:07:57

I think it helped my girls, that may be why she's improved as the tamiflu has stopped it in its tracks, hard to tell though isn't it without a crystal ball.

how did the pneumonia from SF get diagnosed and what are the symptoms if you don't mind me asking? I've had SF and it really knocked me off my feet and I had a secondary infection with fluid on my lung. Got strong combined antbiotics and seem to be improving but bit paranoid of getting pneumonia, have just got lower back and rib pain now, cough gone x

devotion Thu 30-Jul-09 16:04:28

my mil said that when she got swine flu it hurt on her left side when she coughed.

after the swine flu had run its course, her cough continued quite bad and she felt really tired and breathless. the pain was still there so the go told her to go into the surgery and when he checked her over he told her she had pneumonia in her left lung and they gave her antibitotics but after a week nothing much changed so she went back and they gave her a different course and two days later she sounds much better. Her voice was so croaky! She still has the cough but she feels normal again and heopfully will be totally over it by next week.

If you have any doubts, go get checked out. Its important that you get treatment.

Is the rib pain on one side?

dikkertjedap Thu 30-Jul-09 16:09:07

I had a headache (not sure if it was from the tamiflu or plain stress), 3 yo daughter had no side effects at all and as far as I know neither my dd and myself contracted swine flu and I think that this was because we took the tamiflu prophylactically. DH had swine flu and took tamiflu and only tamiflu brought his fever down (paracetamol and nurofen, maximum dose did not seem to do anything he had raging fever), he had no side effects of tamiflu.

I must say I had never used it before (never even considered it until all this swine flu stuff) but I would most definitely take it again and also definitely give it to my daughter again if she was to have suspected swine flu.

It is also worth considering that it might be difficult to distinguish between the side effects of tamiflu and the symptoms of swine flu (both can have vomitting, headaches, etc, etc.). I have noted that local doctors here are very sceptical about the usefulness of tamiflu whilst I strongly believe that it has helped my family enormously.

Elibean Thu 30-Jul-09 16:12:15

Know of two LOs who had similar experiences to dkjp's dh - fever wouldn't come down till Tamiflu started, then did within hours.

yummymummy310 Thu 30-Jul-09 16:13:26

yeah is worse on left side which is wierd as was right lung that had fluid on it but as I haven't got a cough or sore throat or anything am wondering if it's just cos I'm very tired / run down.

Did your Mil have the tamiflu for SF? Bet you've had a worrying time, hope your ok.

Awh bless them, hope everyone's better soon x

Elibean Thu 30-Jul-09 16:14:11

yummy, my sister had pneumonia years ago, and had lingering rib pain from having pulled muscles whilst coughing...

yummymummy310 Thu 30-Jul-09 16:31:20

am not sure if she even thought I already had pneumonia but was so poorly didn't ask just took prescription, she said I'd a secondary infection with fluid on right lung and to take these antibiotics, afterwards I just presumed she meant a chest infection not pneumonia. May be I did have it but it's gone and that's why I've got rib pain? x

devotion Thu 30-Jul-09 17:48:23

yummymummy310 - i think its worth still to get checked out.

because like i said my mil needed a stronger dose to help it go.

x

BrigitBigKnickers Thu 30-Jul-09 17:52:05

Both DD and DH went down with SF at the same time. DD had Tamiflu, DH didn't. They both recovered in exactly the same time.

DD was violently sick after the first dose but not sure if that was the SF or the Tamiflu.

She continued with the treatment for 4 more days with no side effects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now