Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dd2 temp, headache, exhausted, do I need to be thinking swine flu ??

(11 Posts)
NervousNutty Thu 23-Jul-09 21:11:03

She is also asthmatic although it hasn't caused her any major problems in the last 2 years or so.

The exhaustion could be from todays swimming as she did 30 lengths of the school pool, but obviously the temp isn't from that.

She has had the headache on and off since she about 1pm, temp came on this evening and she was dithering after a bath, teeth chattering and everything, but now said she feels so hot that she is lying on top of bed clothes with the window open.

I have given her the max dose of calpol and sent her to bed.

Do I need to do anything else tonight or can I wait and see how she is tommorow ??

Ewe Thu 23-Jul-09 21:12:27

Does she have a cough? I think that is the defining constant feature of SF from what I have read.

Poor little mite, only thing you can do is wait it out and see I think, hope she feels better after a good sleep.

tiredemma Thu 23-Jul-09 21:13:25

nothing else that you can do- sounds very much like dS2 when he was symptomatic for it.

Its awful. Floored Ds2 for 4 days.

NervousNutty Thu 23-Jul-09 21:15:30

No cough as yet no and i'm hoping it stays that way as her asthma will flare up if she gets a cough.

Sounds awful emma, did anyone else in the house get it ??

tiredemma Thu 23-Jul-09 21:17:27

No- thankfully we all remained swine flu free. (And ds1 was huging and kissing ds2 in the hope that he would get it and 5 days off school)

Ds2 had it during that heatwave week (beginning july) it was bloody awful, he was like an oven to touch.

PrefetParfait Thu 23-Jul-09 21:18:20

I thought rapid onset of 38+ temp + 2 other symptoms (cough, snot, throat, muscle aches, headache, D&V)

So she has temp + headache which ticks 2 boxes of the 3. Any other sypmptoms from that list.

TBH even if it is SF, rest, paracetamol, ibuprofen is the main advice. Keep an eye on her asthma - obviously - you might want to talk to GP

LittleHarrysMum Thu 23-Jul-09 21:23:42

Nervous my DS was like this on Tuesday had temp, complaining of headache and was soooo tired he went to bed in the afternoon (he is 3, no longer has naps and nanny was round shock) totally unheard of.

I like you thought oh F* here it is, but kept up the calpol and lots of sleep and fluids and he was fine the next day!

I have kept an eye on him but nothing since, little more tired than normal but no more afternoon naps. I hope this is the same for you and it is just another 'bug' going round and not the dreaded SF.

Elibean Thu 23-Jul-09 21:32:05

Sore throat is also a 'tickable' symptom, I believe.

Cough doesn't always come on at the start, can start after day or two and be quite minor for some.

PrefetParfait Thu 23-Jul-09 21:44:47

- yes "throat" was meant to mean "sore throat"

NervousNutty Fri 24-Jul-09 00:57:58

Thanks guys. Have checked on her a few times since she fell asleep and she has cooled down alot.

Will see how she is in the morning, and if she is the same I will contact whoever it is you are supposed to contact.

Fingers crossed it's nothing.

NervousNutty Fri 24-Jul-09 09:00:25

Well this morning she is much the same although i'd say not as hot as last night.

She said she feels a bit dizzy and that the back of her head feels funny, but other than that she is ok. Oh she said she felt sick first thing this morning but that has now passed.

Do you think keeping an eye on her is ok for now ?? Obviously if her temp shoots up again or she develops a cough or any other symptoms then I will ring the helpline.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now