Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Under 3s no vaccination

(17 Posts)
lara12 Thu 23-Jul-09 20:58:06

Hi

Just read that under 3s will not get swine flu jab...

Can anyone explain why this would be the case when they are just as vulnerable as 3-5 year olds

Amazed mother of 2 year old

GwarchodwrPlant Thu 23-Jul-09 20:59:40

I think it's because they don't mix with other children so much at that age and they are often kept home.

LeonieSoSleepy Thu 23-Jul-09 21:01:16

Message withdrawn

There is no way I would give it to my children anyway, not unless the virus becomes alot more virulent.

We are the only country who are going to use it untested, we are basically the worlds guinnea pigs.

I wouldn't be amazed, just relieved.

lara12 Thu 23-Jul-09 21:01:50

What planet are these people on. ,Like most mums these days we still work and our little ones are in daycare so what a load of rubbish

I am determined to get to the bottom of this and will let you all know when I have....

Probably because when people start dying from the vaccine it's less emotive if they arn't little babieshmm.

PrefetParfait Thu 23-Jul-09 21:06:54

can I refer you to this thread where this very issue has ben HIGHLY debated.

As I understand it (and it may have changed) undeer3's will get the vaccine; They will just not be on the priority list. IMO this is a good thing as it will allow some clinical and safety data to be established first.

lockets Thu 23-Jul-09 21:07:09

Message withdrawn

stuffitlllama Fri 24-Jul-09 09:54:11

There's no compensation for vaccination damage or deaths under the age of two. So it's probably for the best.

pooka Fri 24-Jul-09 09:56:51

There was one situation in the states where a virulent flu was combatted by a rapid vaccination programme. 1 person died of flu. About 20 people died from the vaccine.

stuffitlllama Fri 24-Jul-09 09:58:52

Am reassured by the number of cynics. All is not lost.

cazzybabs Fri 24-Jul-09 10:14:16

but isn't just s flu jab, all be a different strain - so saying it isn't tested is wrong...I am happy to be corrected because I haven't read much about it...

I am guessing they don't give the flu jab to little ones anyway...

I am not sure whether I would give it or not...

stuffitlllama Fri 24-Jul-09 10:19:11

even gsk says tests will be limited

ie not fully tested

LUCIA22 Fri 24-Jul-09 10:42:12

I am pretty much decided that my 2 will not have vaccine. Just have to convince dp. I wish it was possible to be tested for immunity as I am pretty sure that i had sf last week and breastfed ds 4 months throughout so hoping ha has some immunity. DD 2yrs was diagnosed by phone last night.from what. She was really poorly for a few hours but after a good sleep is pretty much back to normal this morning. Most cases are pretty mild from what I have heard. I think there is more risk from the vaccine.

Not only is it a new vaccine, but it also being made in a new way, that is how they have managed to ruch it through so fast.

I think alot of conventional vacs are made with egg? (or something) and this is made in a cell? (or something).

<wild sits back and wait to be told she is foolishly, hopelessly wrong, as she is well aware her facts are a little shakygrin>

onagar Fri 24-Jul-09 11:19:34

I listened to a guy from the drug company the other day that makes it. He was saying something like 'we will do a long and careful process of testing. it's the governments choice at what point they decide it's safe enough not to wait any longer to use it"

The implication that the government will say "oh that's enough now. we don't have time to make sure it's safe" is a little worrying.

stuffitlllama Fri 24-Jul-09 11:21:56

It won't matter to the manufacturer by then. They will have sold it.. the money will be in the bank. They won't care if it's never used.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now