Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

can she take cough medicine?

(3 Posts)
jetcat32 Thu 23-Jul-09 20:23:50

not sure on who to call....

DD1(12) diagnosed today and given anti virals, the inhaler not tamiflu as she has kidney damage. For this she takes long term anti biotics. She also has very mild asthma.

Is there anything she can take for the cough, and from somewhere that is liable to open tonight - ie. a supermarket rather than a pharmacy? She is coughing every few seconds, a really dry cough, and is making herself sick with itsad

atlantis Thu 23-Jul-09 22:09:40

I don't know about medications but the one thing that stopped me coughing was honey, it soothed the throat and covered it, manuka is the best but it's too late to get that, try just normal honey and let her just eat off a spoon or dip her finger in it everytime she feels a tingle or coughing fit coming on.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 23-Jul-09 22:17:45

With kidney damage I wouldnt recommend usual potions we find that help.

As atlantis says honey can help. If doesnt can try a hot honey and lemon solution.

Have you a humidifier? Can help with dry coughs.

Also v. dark chocolate has theobromine in it which some studies have found to be quite an effective cough remedy.

Maybe ice pops (hopeful)

Experiment with windows wide open.

I hope she (and you) get some rest tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now