Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mother wants to come over with possible swine flu

(7 Posts)
Marne Thu 23-Jul-09 09:47:04

I havn't seen my mum for a few weeks and she has just phoned to say she will be coming over today but has just got out of bed and taken some pain killers as she feels a little ill (possible flu). Should i be worried, if it is swine flu will she pass it on to us? I really don't want the kids to get it but on the other hand its best they get it now and get it out of the way.

What would you do?

cocolepew Thu 23-Jul-09 09:49:49

If she feels ill, why would she come over when you have children, sf or not? Phone her back and tell her not to come, you don't want your DCs catching antything of her.

Marne Thu 23-Jul-09 10:02:01

I think i will phone her back in a bit, ask how she's feeling and try and put her off coming, if she insists on coming i will make sure the girls are outside in the garden out of her way and try and make her leave early.

She seems to think this SF is just a big fuss about nothing (which it might be).

peanutbutterkid Thu 23-Jul-09 10:05:06

I'm afraid I'm with your mum, Marne, much ado about nothing.

I heard an estimate today (medical professional in the Midlands said this) that more than half of the people presenting with the most distinct SF symptoms (fevering, vomitting, etc.) don't have SF when swabbed (they have other bugs).

Which means people with mild cold symptoms are even more unlikely to have SF. Would you normally avoid your mum if she had this degree of cold symptoms?

cornsillk Thu 23-Jul-09 10:12:53

I would tell her not to come.

LIZS Thu 23-Jul-09 10:21:54

Would you usually let her come if it wasn't for the SF hype ?

Marne Thu 23-Jul-09 10:56:46

I have phoned her and she told me that a few people where she works have been ill but have been tested for swine flu and they have not got it, my mum works in a nursing home so they have to be swabbed if they are ill, in a way this proves that most of the people who think they have SF may not have it at all.

Mum is still coming over, i don't mind being around people with colds etc but i wouldn't let her over if she had D&V due to my sickness phobia but mum wouldn't come over if she was really ill.

She said she feels better now and thinks its just a slight cold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now