Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

swimming and swine flu

(9 Posts)
pofacedandproud Thu 23-Jul-09 09:37:50

Ds, 4, wants to go swimming. But have to take dd too, 14 months. We were going merrily until last week but just starting to wonder [my asthma responds v badly to flu bugs] Any ideas? Feel mean not taking him.

SlartyBartFast Thu 23-Jul-09 09:41:11

i wouldnt worry, if people were feeling ill, they would not go swimmingg.

ChildOfThe70s Thu 23-Jul-09 09:44:26

Have been wondering about this too - of course people won't go when they are actually feeling unwell but what is the incubation period? Presumably people might be carrying the bug for a couple of days before falling ill?

pofacedandproud Thu 23-Jul-09 09:49:00

if it were just him and me I'd probably take him but with baby too just feels a bit reckless. Wondering if the chlorine kills the virus but no clue.

Bramshott Thu 23-Jul-09 10:15:11

Is there any more chance of getting it swimming than in the supermarket? Surely it's an airborne rather than a waterborne virus?

MerlinsBeard Thu 23-Jul-09 10:21:38

if you are avoiding swimming you may as well avoid the park and supermarkets etc

Your DD may well get a cold after swimming, mine always do - on account of shivering our way on the mile walk (exxageration) from pool to changing rooms and not being allowed to take a towel to the poolside! The likelihood of that cold being swine flu is small.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 23-Jul-09 10:23:20

I would weigh up risk factors, are you in a huge hot spot at the moment? If you are, then I'd hold off for a couple of weeks and let it settle down. If you are in an area with just sporadic cases then I would go out and enjoy life whilst its not bad in your area. It tends to go in waves even at a local level.

People tend not to shed the virus until they are symptomatic so I wouldn't worry about people harbouring stuff.

pofacedandproud Thu 23-Jul-09 10:39:56

thanks kitten. Apparently we are in a hot spot, it seeded early here apparently, but cases don't seem rife, iyswim. Hard to tell. My worry abut the pool as opposed to other public places is people and children do tend to offload snot and saliva into pool! Lovely.

Hulababy Thu 23-Jul-09 10:43:20

AFAIK people are only contagious when they are displaying symptoms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now