Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pregnancy and swine flu - what is and isn't acceptable risk?

(10 Posts)
Rubberplant Thu 23-Jul-09 09:15:10

Ok, I should start by saying that I am swinging between calm and worry on this one. Put it down to the pregnancy hormones.

I had a conversation with my midwife and on the positive side she reinforced the fact that the majority of healthy people who catch swine flu including those who are pregnant will be ok.

She then went on to say that what I do and don't do on a day to day basis has to be based on my own assessment of risk. I had theatre tickets booked in London and she suggested that if I did go I could wear a mask... She seems to be holding the line that avoiding crowded places (if you can) is the best policy. I've decided that I won't go to the theatre.

However, where do you draw the line? I am a SAHM but if I was still working I would be commuting by crowded train each day and eating in a packed staff restaurant.

I've planned to go to a meal with 15 old work colleagues tomorrow, which involves a train journey. Is going to a restaurant too much of a crowded place? Would you avoid something like this if you didn't have to go?

(The day after that I'm going to a wedding with a 100+ guests.)

Any views on this would be appreciated.

southernbelle77 Thu 23-Jul-09 09:21:34

I was listening to a guy (something to do with the department of health I think) on tv the other day saying that pregnant woman should, at present, carry on as normal. So, if you work and need to get the train, still do it.

My own dd is suffering with sf at the moment and although the advice was stay away from anyone who has it, I can hardly stay away from my own poorly 5 year old can I! Well, at least I can't and I won't. If I get it then I get it but at the moment have no symptoms so holding out that I won't.

(I'm 24 weeks pg btw)

dal21 Thu 23-Jul-09 09:28:42

Rubber - I feel exactly the same. Swing between calm and worry. It is the conflicting advice and general volume of media coverage that is adding fuel to the fire. And I think that any decisions you make about what to attend/ what not to attend come down to personal choice and what you feel happy with.

I am working from home today as someone has caught swine flu in my workplace. Having said that, last weekend I attended a wedding with 500+ people and this weekend am hosting a bbq.

I dont want to put myself into quarantine, bub is not due until mid Jan! But I am choosing to be sensible and stay away from work until I know whether this person has made many others catch it.

Rubberplant Thu 23-Jul-09 09:28:46

Hi Southernbelle77,

To be honest at the moment I think I'm more at risk of my DP bringing it home to me from work. A couple of people there have gone off with suspected cases and DP's immune system is always poor.

Best wishes to you and your DD.

rubyslippers Thu 23-Jul-09 09:32:38

i am 29 weeks PG so understand your concerns

i am not doing anything different except paying extra attention to hand washing

DS goes to nursery FT

DH travels by tube a lot

i commute and work in an office

the chances of catching SW are there already IYSWIM so i would carry on as usual and enjoy your meal out

Rubberplant Thu 23-Jul-09 09:32:51

Hi Dal21,

I know what you mean about quarantine! I'm not due till early Jan either. I guess I'll cut out things like the cinema and theatre, but not BBQ's, weddings, restaurants etc, etc.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 23-Jul-09 09:33:50

I spoke to my health and safety officer about this yesterday at work and he too said the stance is one of personal interpretation and also common sense. (i am 23 wks)

For the most part I am fine with working, but I do see clients, and yesterday I saw someone who's granddaughter had that morning been released from hospital after 2 days stay with swine flu, they struggled to keep her temp down. And then I think 'oh, should I be more concerned than I am?' and prompty washed my hands, AND used the antibac we have! But not sure if that was because he was grubby or because of the swine flu.

I shall just continue being cautious but continuing as I am, for example, going camping this weekend, there is a swimming pool there, but none of us will use it, as it is a breeding ground.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Thu 23-Jul-09 09:35:04

I also think that those in early pg, and in late pg should take more care than me though, for example my friend who is due in 2wks, she is better sticking to no crowds at all, as she is more likely to suffer adverse affects for example if she has a fever while in labour, than me who is likely to just get cold like symptoms and have plenty of time to get over it.

LIZS Thu 23-Jul-09 09:35:23

I'd carry on with plans as normal . 1:3 are going to get iot at some point, most mildly, and you may find it easier to cope with now, if that is going to be you, than with a newborn. To me an "unnecessary risk" would be visiting an environment with known cases present, just as you might decide to avoid a chickenpoxy child for example.

Picante Thu 23-Jul-09 09:47:25

As for a few of us, dh works in London and is on the tube every day, and ds is going to be in nursery for August so my risks are already quite high, so I'm trying to reduce them where I can (am coming up 37 weeks)... mainly avoiding places where there are lots of children!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now