Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pregnant - is it too risky to fly?

(4 Posts)
curlychick Thu 23-Jul-09 04:07:39

I have the option of a freebie holiday with my in-laws in rural Spain in two weeks time, but don't know if I should go.

I'm 21 weeks pregnant and have two DD’s under 5. In the area I will be visiting my parents can't establish whether the Spanish have issued any advice on whom to contact/what to do should you catch Swine flu and there is very little awareness.

My concern is that one of us may catch it on the flight and then find it difficult to get treatment if required.

For myself, if I wasn't pregnant I wouldn't thing twice about going, but my logic is that I want to hold off catching swine flu until I'm further into pregnancy, just in case there were complications, in order to give the baby a better chance.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? We aren’t restricting day to day life otherwise. grin

Rubberplant Thu 23-Jul-09 09:24:33

Hi Curlychick,

I've just posted asking people what they think is and isn't acceptable risk when pregnant.

Have you spoken to your midwife? It's probably worth taking some advice on this one. Mine seems to be advising against putting yourself into situations where you are going to be "up close and personal" with crowds of strangers.

Unfortuantely I think it's going to be down to what you feel is too risky. If you do go I would definitely find out what the situation in Spain is regarding treatment.

curlychick Thu 23-Jul-09 22:24:15

Thanks - I'll try my midwife tomorrow but think I've decided not to take the risk and to stay at home. smile

corblimeymadam Thu 23-Jul-09 22:27:16

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now