Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What are your poorly little ones eating?

(12 Posts)
paranoidpiggy Wed 22-Jul-09 21:46:44

I think we have the proverbial red cross on our door hmm.I feel like poo and dd is burning up, sore throat, barking cough, upset stomach and just looking very poorly. I'm booking a tesco delivery for tomorrow but I don't really know what to stock up on. I am going to try and keep us indoors at least til after the weekend (god what am I letting myself in for hmm) and have already put in extra orders of toilet roll, medicines, a comic as a treat but food wise I don't really know. She is 5 and usually has a very healthy appetite but I am guessing I should avoid things like yoghurt in case they upset her tummy? When I was little I remember eating mashed potato and gingerbread men when I was poorly grin Does it matter what she eats as long as she keeps hydrated?

TantieTowie Wed 22-Jul-09 21:51:12

Eating at all would be good! Fluids are the main thing, I think. Mine, 2.5, hasn't really eaten since it started but he has been variously tempted in a small way by bread sticks, rice pudding, banana, yoghurt and olives. He had 10 olives the day before yesterday - the most enthusiasm he's shown so far... He's drunk a lot of milk though.

bubbleymummy Wed 22-Jul-09 21:52:15

I would stock up on plenty of fruit and veg and pure fruit juice - I freeze it to make lollies DS loves cut up fruit when he's sick and it's easy to digest and is mainly water so helps to keep him hydrated... I tend to avoid sugar (suppresses immune system) and dairy (causes increased mucus production - not good for colds/flu!) when he is sick. Hope you're feeling better soon. Get out the board games or a pack of cards or something so you don't all go mad!

paranoidpiggy Wed 22-Jul-09 21:54:25

Bread sticks are a great idea thank you. I'm aiming for comforting stoge I think. Ooo I'm going to get honey to put on toast. And maybe some cooking ingredients so that even if we don't want to eat it we can at least have some fun baking when she's up to it.

paranoidpiggy Wed 22-Jul-09 21:55:03

<adds fruit juice to the list>

bubbleymummy Wed 22-Jul-09 21:57:09

red grape makes a particularly nice lolly if I do say so myself wink

hazeyjane Wed 22-Jul-09 21:58:43

We didn't feel like eating anything much when we were ill. Lots of fluids, ice lollies, ice cream, when we started feeling better all the dd's wanted was toast and yoghurt. Get some rehydration sachets, because at one point I couldn't even keep down water.

I hope you're all feeling better soon.

paranoidpiggy Wed 22-Jul-09 22:03:54

Is it worth getting tamiflu? I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. I have noone to go and get the prescription for us

southernbelle77 Thu 23-Jul-09 09:15:37

DD, 5, is currently only having ice lollies! I've been making them from pure orange juice as well as the ice pop packs that we had in the freezer. At the moment she won't eat anything as she says it hurts and tastes horrible! She did eat about 10 red grapes yesterday at a push. Not even the doughnut she was bought has made her eat! Trying not to get paranoid as she is tiny anyway (weighs the same as a 2-3 year old) and is losing weight but figure she will put weight back on when she is better hmm

southernbelle77 Thu 23-Jul-09 09:17:01

Have you not got a friend, school friends parents, work collegue etc that could pop the the chemist for you?

Call the doctor and see what they say. If they prescribe tamiflu and you really have noone that can get it for you, tell them and there maybe someone they could send out. Just a thought.

bumptwitknocker Thu 23-Jul-09 10:51:28

Just lots of fluids and mainly dry foods or fruit. Introduce dairy last, as it can upset the stomach again because it takes quite a bit to digest.

juicylucytoo Thu 23-Jul-09 14:40:07

DS is 2 and has just started showing interest in food again (day 3).
I made sure he had plenty of water and he still drank his milk (mornings and night) plus one midday yesterday because he fancied it.
Now he wants food he's getting whatever he likes until I think he's better.
GP said fluids / wet nappies are the main thing, so I kept that as my standard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now