Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it wise to give tamiful to a child 'just in case'?

(27 Posts)
Bellebelle Wed 22-Jul-09 20:15:26

Okay, friend's DS had swine flu symptoms on Monday and Dr prescribed tamiflu as they have a very young baby. He then woke up on Tuesday feeling fine so they put him into nursery and life is carrying on as normal but are still giving him the tamiflu. Is this wise if they genuinely now think that he didn't have it or is it a sensible precaution?

PrefetParfait Wed 22-Jul-09 20:16:44

I wouldn't take it if I din't think I needed it (because of above average risk factors). The side effects are apparently not very pleasant.

hercules1 Wed 22-Jul-09 20:16:44

Not wise. From what I know it would mean that if he does really get it the tamiful wouldnt be so effective plus the side effects arent meant to be nice.

cookielove Wed 22-Jul-09 20:18:32

he shouldn't be at nursery if he is taking tamiflu, should be off until the course is finished and he is better, even if it is just precautionary (erm may have spelt that wrong)

whomovedmychocolate Wed 22-Jul-09 20:21:19

angry If everyone did this we would run out of Tamiflu and if the virus does get enough exposure to it, it'll probably become resistant, and then it'll simply not work. This is a very bad idea indeed.

The policy against prophylaxis changed four sodding weeks ago. Unless this baby has an underlying health condition which means it would be dangerous to even develop SF it should not have been prescribed! hmm

Bellebelle Wed 22-Jul-09 20:22:12

No need to worry about spelling as I couldn't even spell tamiflu!

I thought it strange that they sent him to nursery while taking it. DH is fuming about it as we had their DD over at ours and they didn't even think to check we were okay with it. Am I right in thinking though that as she isn't showing symptoms that she isn't infectious?

PrefetParfait Wed 22-Jul-09 20:24:47

WMMC - it was prescribed (by teh sounds of it) after a diagnosis of swine flu.

It now appears (to teh parents) that the diagnosis is wrong...and therefore the question is should he continue to take it?

mollyroger Wed 22-Jul-09 20:25:44

I definitely wouldn't. The side effecst can be really nasty; it will mean he won't be able to take it again if he genuinely gets it .

Bellebelle Wed 22-Jul-09 20:26:36

Is it possible to have symptoms for only one day and for it to still be swine flu?

whomovedmychocolate Wed 22-Jul-09 20:26:53

Doesn't sound like there is any point in taking it if there are no symptoms does there? hmm

cookielove Wed 22-Jul-09 20:29:01

We have a child at our nursery who has been given it even though it hasn't been diagnosed, he has had several chest infections, and his immune system is weaker, so they have given it to him, as he is showing three symtoms, he is not allowed back to at least wednesday, as we can't risk the other children's health.

If your friends dd doesn't have any symptoms i wonder why she has been given it, however i would be very annoyed at them for not telling you and feel the doc's would of given it for a reason, does she have a weakened immune system?

Bellebelle Wed 22-Jul-09 20:31:38

WMMC - I don't understand it either. My immediate reaction was why give your child unnecessary drugs which could give horrible side effects. My DH is more of the opinion that he does have SF but they are "covering it up" although if that were the case surely the nursery would spot that he was unwell?

listenglisten Wed 22-Jul-09 20:34:22

mollyrodger - are you sure that it not be taken more than once?

my sister has just been giving her dd Tamiflu as she had suspected swine flu but like the op, her symptoms were gone after a day. dsis did check with 2 pharmasists who said she would be able to take it again if needed and if this wasn't actually swine flu.

Bellebelle Wed 22-Jul-09 20:34:35

No high risk issues in the family other than the kids being under 5

listenglisten Wed 22-Jul-09 20:35:36

whoops pharmacists

whomovedmychocolate Wed 22-Jul-09 20:47:47

listenglisten - yes it can be taken multiple times but it's not known what will happen in children if this happens because obviously adverse reactions have not been tested on this group for either single or repeat use. There is also an ethical question here of: are we to use a limited stock item on the offchance again and again for the same person? hmm

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 22-Jul-09 22:31:55

If the course has been started then the rest of it can't be really given back for someone else to use. If he has a really mild version of pan flu then it would be unwise to stop the antivirals as thats the sort of thing that promotes resistance. As it is not known as to what he had I think the best action is to continue with the course of antivirals.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 22-Jul-09 22:33:05

And btw advice is still that under fives with suspected pan flu receive tamiflu.

MrsJamesMartin Wed 22-Jul-09 22:37:05

Its worth remembering that each person gets prescibed 1 course of tamiflu only, there are no repeat courses , so if it is taken and its not swine flu then there will be none for you if you actually do get swine flu.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 22-Jul-09 22:43:50

Not quite true - I think you can get it if you can show that you really do need it the next time. Which is only fair, because to be effective you have to take it within a couple of days of developing symptoms. Lots of bugs have ILI symptoms (especially with young children) so its very likely that people will be prescribed it when they have something else.

Elibean Wed 22-Jul-09 22:50:35

Really? What if a young, high risk child, gets prescribed Tamiflu in good faith, and takes it, then develops flu at a later date - and, obviously, is still high risk and young? Its not their fault, seems very wrong to not treat at that point...surely they would be prescribed it again?

Re the OP: friend's ds was also prescribed Tamiflu (aged 2) with v high temps, not really controllable with meds, and cold symptoms - after two doses of Tamiflu he was a lot better, and just feverish/coldy for the next few days. Have heard a few cases like this, no idea if they have genuine swine flu or not. Personally, I would have finished the course (for reasons given below) but kept my child away from nursery till course finished regardless of symptoms.

Elibean Wed 22-Jul-09 22:51:23

Ah - x post, BadKitten smile

whomovedmychocolate Wed 22-Jul-09 22:52:38

I'd be a bit pissed off if I was his nursery carer and didn't know he was taking a drug which could have sudden adverse reactions because the parents hadn't bothered to say. hmm

lockets Wed 22-Jul-09 22:59:52

Message withdrawn

Bellebelle Fri 24-Jul-09 00:36:14

Sorry, just coming back to this thread now. I'm still not sure what to think about this situation. If it were me I would not have put my DC into nursery while taking tamiflu and really don't understand why they have. When I asked them a couple of questions about it they got quite cagey so I think they know that they might be in the wrong. I guess giving tamiflu is their decision and I just feel odd about it because I would avoid giving it if I didn't think it necessary. I also think I've got a bit wound up about this as reading between the lines I think they do think he has had/has it but aren't saying as they live in a small village and don't want hassle. Annoys me because if this is the case they have exposed my v.young DCs and asthmatic DH to it when we probably would have stayed away with prior warning.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now