Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So the fact that the "healthy 6 year old" who died did NOT die from Swine Flu seems to have been missed by many

(17 Posts)
franklymydear Wed 22-Jul-09 12:21:35

She died of septic shock from tonsilitis. The poor family, this is not a death one expects.

So so far as far as I can see nobody without underlying health issues has died of Swine Flu in the UK right?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 22-Jul-09 12:26:28

She tested positive for H1N1 flu too, so it's not known if the tonsillitis was a complication of that.

franklymydear Wed 22-Jul-09 12:31:29

She may well have tested positive for H1N1 flu but the reportage says she DIED from septic shock as a result of tonsilitis.

Chevre Wed 22-Jul-09 12:31:45

fanjo - you are splitting hairs.

franklymydear - you are v. sensible but i suspect the makers of non generic pain killers are going to hunt you down and kill you.

franklymydear Wed 22-Jul-09 12:31:48

tonsilitis can be treated with penicillin

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 22-Jul-09 12:38:52

fanjo - one of the complications of flu is to develop a concurrent bacterial infection. This happens with seasonal flu too. Usually flu is not the soul cause of death but a contributory factor. Tonsillitis is not an underlying health condition.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 22-Jul-09 12:39:50

sorry - not fanjo I mean franklymydear.

CrushWithEyeliner Wed 22-Jul-09 12:45:35

Can you get septic shock from tonsilitis - that is VV worrying

CrushWithEyeliner Wed 22-Jul-09 12:46:41

It does not sounds to me like she got the correct medical care tbh

morningsun Wed 22-Jul-09 12:49:30

It sounds as if the fact she was diagnosed with SF may have caused less pro action into looking for another cause for the fever esp as the advice at that time was stay home and get tamiflu~this may have delayed treatment.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 22-Jul-09 12:52:45

Whatever the cause its probably not very kind of us to be speculating about what has caused the deaths of individuals. Her poor family.

CrushWithEyeliner Wed 22-Jul-09 12:54:00

precisely MS which is what is worrying sad

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 22-Jul-09 13:02:23

Chevre - I am not splitting hairs, thank you. If the tonsillitis was secondary to swine flu there could be a link.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 22-Jul-09 13:03:22

Isnt the usual cause of death from flu a secondary bacterial infection, as well?

FairyMum Wed 22-Jul-09 17:53:36

My number 1 worry is that everyone is so obsessed about swine flu and tamiflu, they miss secondary infections developing needed urgent antibiotics.

LeonieSoSleepy Wed 22-Jul-09 19:09:02

Message withdrawn

Northernlurker Wed 22-Jul-09 19:17:33

Patients who die from flu usually do die from a bacterial infection to which they become susceptible when their immune system is knackered by said flu virus. Overwhelming infection is not a rare event. When at secondary school and university I knew two people who died from that - one was following tonsillitis. Infection can move fast - which is why the advice on here is so often to get off the internet and down to A&E when people post about poorly children. The children's matron in the hospital where I worked told me about one case where parents were bringing their child in to be seen and the child died in their arms whilst they were carrying them up to the ward from the car park. They hadn't seemed all that ill at the Gp practice just a little while before sad I'm not saying that to frighten anybody - i've got a feverish two year old here myself tonight, just to say that modern medicine lulls in to a false sense of security as far as our health goes. We're all bust stressing about swine flu because it's new - but the bugs that can kill are always with us. we're better at treating them now than 50 or 100 years ago - but they've never gone away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now