Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My two are coughing like seals with a sixty a day habit.

(18 Posts)
RealityIsGettingMarried Wed 22-Jul-09 07:45:39

Message withdrawn

southernbelle77 Wed 22-Jul-09 07:56:21

Do they have a high temperature? If they do, definitely call the doctors.

DD is 5 and has been told she has sf. She has a REALLY bad cough now and its getting worse which is worrying me as she has asthma too.

RealityIsGettingMarried Wed 22-Jul-09 08:01:19

Message withdrawn

nickytwotimes Wed 22-Jul-09 08:07:29

Poor things. sad

I'd phone for some advice.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 22-Jul-09 08:08:44

Reality - even in this time of stress you still managed to write a thread subject which made me laugh.

Sorry for your troubles, 'flollopy' is a bit worrying. Do take their temps.

Mine have got a gastric bug at the minute which started as a cough and was misdiagnosed as swine flu (well actually presumed to be swine flu) till DD started fainting from dehydration yesterday. We switched her to a diet of clear fluids excluding milk and she's recovered amazingly fast (although I'm going to be hearing the demands for lemonade for months hmm now she's got a taste for it!)

So they might get better very quickly. Fingers crossed. Hope your mum feels better soon.

Tambajam Wed 22-Jul-09 08:08:58

I wouldn't take DS to the doctor. There are trying really hard to keep people away from surgeries. I would phone your GP surgery.

My DS aged 5 and DD aged 19 months have both had sealy coughs and runny noses. DD had a temp. DS didn't.

Cough and temp are the key features:
www.nhs.uk/conditions/pandemic-flu/pages/symptoms.aspx

If you live in an area where person-to-person contact is rampant and have flu symptoms the symptom-checker assumes SF as other flu is non-existent right now.

According to that link your mum could have had it with headache, aching, joint pain, loss of appetite etc.

What's a bit annoying is that we may have had it in the past week but simply don't know and may never know.

The symptom checker advises people to call their doctor if there is a possibility but not a certainty.

RealityIsGettingMarried Wed 22-Jul-09 08:13:38

Message withdrawn

LackaDAISYcal Wed 22-Jul-09 08:25:46

I'm in a similar quandry. DS1 has asthma and he has been coughing all night and has had some ventolin for the first time in ages, he has a runny nose and is off his food but has no temp.

I don't want to seem like a neurotic parent, but there was a couple of confirmed cases in his school last week.....

RealityIsGettingMarried Wed 22-Jul-09 08:25:54

Message withdrawn

MinkyBorage Wed 22-Jul-09 08:39:12

this is from the nhs web site:

The symptoms of swine flu are broadly the same as those of ordinary flu, but may be more severe and cause more serious complications.

The typical symptoms are:

sudden fever (a high body temperature of 38C/100.4F or above), and
sudden cough.
Other symptoms may include:

headache,
tiredness,
chills,
aching muscles,
limb or joint pain,
diarrhoea or stomach upset,
sore throat,
runny nose,
sneezing, and
loss of appetite.
Most people who have contracted swine flu recover within a week and do not suffer complications, even without being given antiviral medication.

However, experts point out that as this is a new virus, its behaviour cannot be predicted with certainty.

Swine flu is different from seasonal flu in that most serious illnesses have been in younger age groups.

A doctor faced with a symptomatic patient cannot yet predict with certainty the course of their illness and whether or not they will be in the small proportion who may become more seriously ill.

This is why antiviral medication is still being given to all those with swine flu in the UK, subject to their doctor’s discretion.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 22-Jul-09 09:10:39

Reality - I think they are working on 'worst case scenario' and assuming swine flu is the worst thing - which of course it isn't. However, luckily I know enough about gastric bugs to have asked for a poo sample to be analysed and sure enough that's the problem. hmm

RealityIsGettingMarried Wed 22-Jul-09 14:13:20

Message withdrawn

whomovedmychocolate Wed 22-Jul-09 15:25:55

Hurrah! Well obviously not hurrah that they have croup but you know what I mean wink

RealityIsGettingMarried Wed 22-Jul-09 15:30:21

Message withdrawn

Sunshinemummy Wed 22-Jul-09 15:39:00

Reality - keep an eye on the croup. If they sound like they're stuggling to breathe, go blue or their chest starts really going in and out they need to go to hospital for some Dexemethosone. The GP told me that they can't prescribe it.

RealityIsGettingMarried Wed 22-Jul-09 15:42:04

Message withdrawn

dikkertjedap Wed 22-Jul-09 17:03:00

Out of interest, how does the doctor know they have croup? Did he see them or does that also get diagnosed over the telephone?

Good luck.

RealityIsGettingMarried Wed 22-Jul-09 17:52:42

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now