Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So what's the deal with older people, ie grandparents?

(9 Posts)
alittleteapot Wed 22-Jul-09 07:40:01

Are they not getting this at all?? Are they immune from some previous flu wave?

We haven't got swine flu but dd has woken up coldy and spluttery today. Her grandparents both in their 60s are due up for the day. Should I be cautious and put them off or is it totally fine?

Thanks

Bellbird Wed 22-Jul-09 08:13:24

My mum says she had Asian flu very badly when she was a teenager in 1958 - perhaps this has helped with her immunity? It was a really nasty flu and one of her school friends died of it.

My dd has swine flu (lots of confirmed cases in our area including many friends). She has a high temperature with runny nose and has been shivering a lot, is weak and achey and has a very sore throat. She started Tamiflu 12 hours after the onset of the fever yesterday and is thankfully, not any worse than she was then.

If dd does have swine flu it'd be best to contain it and treat it asap.

As far as grandparents are concerned - entertaining them is not a priority if dd is ill as the symptoms can get worse very rapidly without treatment. Of course, paracetemol and ibuprofen do help like they do in all viral illnesses.

I hope you are able to cope ok and that dd is better soon.

Kammy Wed 22-Jul-09 08:14:40

I spoke to a doctor friend about this - apparantly, older people have some immunity because this strain is similar to other strain that circulated 40 years ago. The current outbreak does not seem to be hitting older groups as hard as young people.

However - this doesn't mean they won't be at risk. Difficult call for you and them and might depend on their general health anyway.

claraquack Wed 22-Jul-09 08:15:43

Wierdly I had exactly this conversation with my mum yesterday. She also mentioned Asia flu in the 1950's and how they had gained some immunity through getting it.

Personally I wouldn't let a cold stop me having my parents up as they are brilliant with my dd's and give me a break! But totally up to you.

Elibean Wed 22-Jul-09 08:19:42

My Dad was told not to fly until he'd been vaccinated, under any circumstances. But then again, he's 80 and had radiotherapy a year ago for prostate cancer...so more frail than a robust 60-something.

I would tell grandparents exact scenario, and leave it up to them!

Bellbird Wed 22-Jul-09 08:30:40

I agree with both claraquack and Kammy -
if grandparents can lend a hand that would be brilliant provided they are fit and believe themselves to be immune. My mum isn't fit and doesn't drive, so she's keeping away for now. The other grandparents live hundreds of miles away sad. Maybe you could ask them if they could possibly help you with picking up prescriptions and some groceries.

Bellbird Wed 22-Jul-09 08:32:52

and I agree with Elibean - I missed your post blush

alittleteapot Wed 22-Jul-09 08:43:07

Thanks everyone. I've texted them. I think she's fine - seems totally fine in herself - but only fair to let them know and then they can make the call.

alittleteapot Wed 22-Jul-09 08:44:44

ps not my parents - dp's dad and stepmum - so feel a bit less relaxed about asking them for help and stuff, though the idea is they take dd out so i can have a lie down as am 29 weeks pg and knackered!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now