Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you have swine flu without a temp?

(40 Posts)
Ewe Tue 21-Jul-09 20:14:09

My company has recently released a swine flu policy, according to this policy if you don't have a temperature then you don't have swine flu.

Is this true? I am fairly sure I have seen on here that it isn't. Is there any medical lit to back this up?

whocaresaboutyourintellect Tue 21-Jul-09 20:27:13

My doctors are only diagnosing swine flu if temp is 38+ and accompanied by two or more other symptoms.

GothMummy Tue 21-Jul-09 20:29:38

Hi there
I have read (online) that its not true - some american newspapers I think reported it.

Besides, if you are ill enough not to be at work, it doesnt matter if you have Swine flu or ordinary flu anyway?

nickytwotimes Tue 21-Jul-09 20:32:25

According to friends who are HCP of varying types, a temperature is a defining feature of H1N1.
If you are ill with something else though, you are still ill!

MrsJamesMartin Tue 21-Jul-09 20:36:23

Sudden temp of 38 or above if the defining symptom with at least 2 of the other symptoms.

CountessDracula Tue 21-Jul-09 20:39:05

this was reported widely in the US

CountessDracula Tue 21-Jul-09 20:39:19

(and my GP told me the same)

DebiNewberry Tue 21-Jul-09 20:40:17

yes, temp is the thing.

some NY Times thing saying it can be without, but how can that be flu?

LeninGrad Tue 21-Jul-09 20:53:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ewe Tue 21-Jul-09 21:00:57

If you have swine flu then you get medical suspension with full pay - but only if you have a temp, as the policy states that if you don't have a temp it isn't swine flu.

If not you get standard sick policy, so I was just running through a few scenarios in my head about the potential flaws! The whole SF thing seems like a bit of a fiasco all round to be honest, nobody seems to know arses from elbows.

Julezboo Tue 21-Jul-09 21:41:38

I have SF and no temp! On tamiflu.

I also work for a crap company it seems I have taken holiday so i don't lose pay!

FattipuffsandThinnifers Tue 21-Jul-09 21:58:53

LeninGrad, I've had similar concerns (I'm 25 weeks pg) but as far as I have read (and have had reassurance from both GP and midwife) the flu itself will not affect the baby. The risk of SF (or any flu) is that a high fever may mean you may overheat - which could bring on prem labour - or that there is a high(er) risk of complications such as pneumonia. But this risk is in itself small.

Tamiflu isn't a cure anyway, simply will reduce symptoms.

Even if you do have SF, as long as you are feeling manageable (albeit unwell) and have no high fever I would try not to worry excessively. Have you been diagnosed?

frecklyspeckly Tue 21-Jul-09 22:25:51

I am off to drs tomorrow as I have had sore throat, tiredness, terrible cough, nose congestion BUT no high temperature. Also occasional tummy aches. Started a week ago. Tonight i am feeling hot and cold.
I truly hope I have not got it as I have been in contact with lots of people at school last thursday and friday. Stayed off work at weekend because I felt so bad. I am baffled as I am feeling really ill but with no temperature. i will report back what dr says.

TBH I am surprised they are LETTING me come to Drs but NHS Direct couldnt decide over phone - sort of wanted me to monitor my own asthma for one hour and call them back if it got worse an hour later - well it didnt get worse but it still didnt feel right. They ended up saying you probably HAVENT but keep monitoring it. Most nights I am struggling to breathe even after my inhaler taken it many times.

I intend to sit well away from other patients just in case I have. I feel very confused and I work in healthcare but there seems so much conflicting info around.

Bet they send me back with tamiflu to cover all situations and they wont know either.

LeninGrad Tue 21-Jul-09 22:49:11

Deva7 Wed 22-Jul-09 11:37:19

Dismissing the NY Times report is dangerous, this is based on real experiences at the source of this Flu.

I believe that using Temperature to Diagnose this flu (when there are a number of reports indicating high number of people without fevers having Swine flu.) will lead to greater infection rates. People will feel free to resume there normal working activities based on a questionare given to them over the phone by the misinformed.

LeninGrad Wed 22-Jul-09 12:38:39

lal123 Wed 22-Jul-09 12:50:29

Lenin - given that you have only 2 weeks to go then even bringing on premature labour wouldn't really be a huge issue?

I'm 26 and 1/2 weeks - and am more worried about getting SF when baby arrives and then baby getting it.... yet another thing to worry about!

LeninGrad Wed 22-Jul-09 13:00:08

LeninGrad Wed 22-Jul-09 13:00:41

lal123 Wed 22-Jul-09 13:07:31

I thought it was just affecting preg women more because our immune systems are more compromised

LeninGrad Wed 22-Jul-09 13:11:49

RubberDuck Wed 22-Jul-09 13:25:08

Lenin: I'm certain it's just not reported.

I remember a colleague getting hospitalised with flu several years ago (admittedly she wasn't pregnant but she was in intensive care for a while) - she had no previous health complications, was fit and in her early twenties.

The difference is, it was normal seasonal flu and so wasn't "news".

helips Wed 22-Jul-09 15:04:13

I've got all the symptoms except for high temp, however spoke to doctor on phone and he says it is swine flu. Hasn't prescribed Tamiflu as I'm 24 weeks pregnant, if I get a fever I'm to call back and they'll give me rolenza.

Deva7 Wed 22-Jul-09 17:01:27

Some Doctors appear to be diagnosing any old sniffle as swine flu , while some insist on a fever to diagnose it.

Bit of a post code lottery

frecklyspeckly Wed 22-Jul-09 21:34:41

Well apparently I have not got it according to not having a temp, my lungs and throat clear, ears etc.

I have just had another virus with all the same symptoms that lasted 7 days.

I still have a niggle i have had it. The worst bit has been the persistant throaty cough. Now ds starting with same symtoms - but - his temp is normal too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now