Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

non panicking voice of reason required

(15 Posts)
minniethemooch Tue 21-Jul-09 17:52:03

Have namechanged as don't want people to know I am in total swine flu meltdown...

Have been planning a three week trip to California all paid up and going in August. Have two dcs - 5 and 8. They may have had swine flu - last month , symptoms fit but was before big scare so were diagnosed "with a virus" - both had high temps sore throats one had a cough and some diarhorrea (spellingblush) also felt sick . Lasted 3-5 days (oldest was hit worse)But like most people - I don't know for sure. Swine flu is in our area - south England. I suffer from Health Anxiety.
Now am extremely worried about flying as it is an 11 hour flight and therefore risk of catching flu quite high - can't not go as travel insurance won't kick in just because we didn't want to go only if we are actually ill .
Plus really want to go ! What risk am I exposing my children to though ? Anyone have any rational advice ?
Sorry if I sound mad sad

TotalChaos Tue 21-Jul-09 17:54:16

have no scientific background whatsoever, but is there really such a high risk from being on a plane, given that you will be staying in your own seats for so much of the time. maybe if you take some of that hand gel with to put on before they eat etc?

cocolepew Tue 21-Jul-09 17:55:11

Can you catch it more than once? It sounds like they had it, I doubt they will fall ill again so quickly.

Don't let it spoil your holiday, go and have fun smile. My mum always flys with a mask on and she's never the only one too, maybe you could do that?

HeadFairy Tue 21-Jul-09 17:57:04

Surely if they've had it they won't get it again, they have the antibodies to fight off any future infections.

Plus... remember they're saying 30% of the population will get it, that means 70% won't. Those are pretty good odds.

minniethemooch Tue 21-Jul-09 18:08:53

Thanks for replying !
My main worry is the recycled air - thought this was a breeding ground for germs ?
Not sure they had swine flu - that is the problem really GP just said - a virus- but think if I rang now they would be diagnosed positively
(do wonder if some people with general bugs are being told they have swine flu when they haven't - it's so confusing! )

HeadFairy Tue 21-Jul-09 18:11:56

Minnie, I think its the other way round, I think people with "just a virus" are being diagnosed with swine flu... hence very high numbers of diagnosed cases.

HeadFairy Tue 21-Jul-09 18:12:09

Minnie, I think its the other way round, I think people with "just a virus" are being diagnosed with swine flu... hence very high numbers of diagnosed cases.

HeadFairy Tue 21-Jul-09 18:12:21

HeadFairy Tue 21-Jul-09 18:14:32

Gah! stoopid computer!

minniethemooch Tue 21-Jul-09 20:19:06

Bump
Anyone got any ideas re recycled air on planes ?

atlantis Tue 21-Jul-09 20:32:34

Yes, recycled air on planes spread deseases, but as panorama said about air travel your more likely to get sick from the toxic fumes inside the plane, sorry, just scared you didn't I, anyways, china are only quarantining anyone sitting in the same row or I think, two row either side of infected people, so highly unlikely they would catch it and if they did already have it they wont get it again unless/ until it mutates.

On a brighter side, you'll have health insurance and if your kids are going to get sick they would be cared for better in private medical facilities in the states than the NHS (no offence to the workers, it's the underfunded system here).

Life can't stop because of flu, if anything you should embrace life more, take them away and give them a good holiday.

minniethemooch Tue 21-Jul-09 20:58:53

Thanks for all your posts smile
Atlantis - strangely, toxic fumes don't bother me! grin
I will go
I will try to stop worrying
and I will have a good time !

Mx

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 21-Jul-09 22:10:27

I think you will have a fab time remember that some airlines are starting to screen before passengers embark so that people with flu like symptoms will not be allowed on.
Even in the early days when there were identified cases, in general only those who were sat very close were checked as potentially infected people. As countries really really wanted to prevent it spreading before they understood it, you would expect them to err in the side of caution. So don't worry about the plane

As for being over in California, well at the moment parts of the UK seem to be a hot spot so I wouldn't worry about being over there.

You have insurance take with you meds that you know and understand (calpol, nurofen etc) and have a lovely time - am jealous cos it sounds like a cool trip.

Musukebba Tue 21-Jul-09 22:37:33

Yep agree you should go. Infection range is within 1 metre (= a couple of rows of seats) and don't worry about the "recycled" air talk. The droplets carrying influenza infections don't spread that far.

The US have way more experience of swine flu so you're likely to get much better directed care than here to be honest. wink

minniethemooch Wed 22-Jul-09 14:30:36

Thanks everyone, feeling a lot better now about going ! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now