Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

When do schools break up?

(11 Posts)
stleger Tue 21-Jul-09 16:14:21

Having read a few topics on flu and schools...when do schools break up in England? In Ireland, north and south it is the end of June for primary. (In Republic it is a lot earlier for secondary). When we were on holiday, there were many children from many countries there. So is school the factor which makes a difference in flu rates?

DiamondHead Tue 21-Jul-09 16:17:43

We don't break up until Friday but I think most schools broke up last week.

Madsometimes Tue 21-Jul-09 17:34:47

We break up on Wednesday, but most broke up last Friday. I think our relative late end to term has contributed to SF spreading. Schools in Scotland break up much earlier and go back mid August. I think that SF is spreading much more slowly there than before. Scotland was previously a real hot spot.

Hulababy Tue 21-Jul-09 17:36:26

My school broke up last Friday. DD's school broke up the Friday before.

LIZS Tue 21-Jul-09 17:38:19

Tomorrow round here but dc's a week ago last Friday

MaDuggar Tue 21-Jul-09 17:43:39

Here in Scotland, we broke up end of June, probably why our cases of swine flu have dropped

PrefetParfait Tue 21-Jul-09 17:54:05

We are in our second week off already

Elibean Tue 21-Jul-09 18:33:51

Today at dd's primary school, and our local church school too.

stleger Tue 21-Jul-09 19:51:23

My friend is Scottish and is a biology teacher. She is wondering how big a part the late school closure in England is playing in the stats. (Why do schools in England stay open so late? Nowhere else does that I know of)

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 21-Jul-09 20:01:01

Tomorrow - thank goodness

Rachmumoftwo Tue 21-Jul-09 20:02:31

Today around here but no swine flu in the school I work at or my DDs school so far. A few children have been unwell, but nothing worse than a summer cold. Although that is being counted as swine flu now, no wonder the stats are so high.

I wonder how many adults pulling sickies from work are pushing up the numbers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now