Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What to do with DS at nursery?

(8 Posts)
giddykipper Tue 21-Jul-09 15:35:28

I strongly suspect I have SF - temperature gone up 1.5 degrees today, headache, shivery. I feel rotten but I can manage it with drugs and don't feel any need to contact the doctor (yet!)

What to do about DS (2yo) in nursery though. He is showing no symptoms, should I be keeping him at home? Clearly I would prefer to suffer in silence at home rather that have a boisterous toddler running round my ankles. I don't have any other family nearby who can look after him.

What would you do?

dikkertjedap Tue 21-Jul-09 15:45:23

If you strongly suspect that you have SF I would get tamiflu both for yourself and your 2 year old as it needs to be taken within 48 hours of onset of the symptoms (and the earlier the better because it limits the spread of the virus in your body and hence will make you less ill, at least that is the logic behind it). According to the CDC (US) people with SF are contagious one day before they get the symptoms up to five days since having developed the symptoms. So it is not too late to start treatment. When I took it (husband had SF, which was later confirmed) I did not have any side effects apart from a headache as long as I took food, 3 yo dd hated the taste and had to mix it with a lot of chocolate syrup to make her take it, neither of us became ill (we did sleep in separate room from my husband but only after he had developed the symptoms, I still had contact with him, bringing food, medicine etc.). Hope you recover soon.

giddykipper Tue 21-Jul-09 16:03:27

Thanks. I've called the doctor, waiting for them to ring me back. I'm sure they will tell me to keep him away from nursery if I've got the lurgy.

giddykipper Tue 21-Jul-09 16:04:07

And I'm eating humble pie here because I was a staunch advocate of the SF topic, and now I need it. blush

dikkertjedap Tue 21-Jul-09 17:05:38

I just saw this on the times website maybe this is helpful:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lifeand_style/health/expertadvice/article6718187.ece

He is a doctor and stresses to take antivirals asap if in risk group. I am not sure if they tell you to keep your two year old home, especially if he takes antivirals and hasn't got symptoms. When my husband had sf, my daughter and I were allowed to go out and about (we both took tamiflu profylactically (I have misspelt that I think)and we have been fine all along. I have asthma and would normally pick things up quickly, this time I didn't I really think that it was the tamiflu which helped.

Hope you feel better soon.

dikkertjedap Tue 21-Jul-09 17:07:17

I just noted, it seems that relenza is the drug of choice for pregnant women not tamiflu, see the link I posted earlier

dikkertjedap Tue 21-Jul-09 17:14:23

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lifeand_style/health/expertadvice/article6718187.ece

If the link doesn't work go to thetimesonline website:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/

Select UK news and then 'health' type in the search box at the top right hand side of the page 'mark porter'

and a number of articles come up, the link was for the article titled

"From The Times July 20, 2009

Swine flu: a GP’s advice"

link to work

giddykipper Tue 21-Jul-09 18:10:41

Doc has put me on tamiflu.

Interestingly, nursery are happy to take DS as long as he isn't showing any symptoms, which I think is a risky strategy. He could easily be carrying but not showing symptoms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now