Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Support needed

(6 Posts)
DSM Tue 21-Jul-09 15:19:31

I'm an old regular, but haven't been on MN in a while.

I know this has probably been done to death.. but I really need some support, and don't know where else to turn.

My DS was diagnosed with Swine Flu this morning. He seems alright, has been given Tamiflu, and up until a little while ago I was fine, but now I am starting to get very panicky and upset and could just do with a chat with people who won't think I am over-reacting. I'm not, just having natural mother feelings, but I have no friends with children and sometimes, they just don't understand.

What should I be looking for? He is in fair spirits, playing away. Will it get worse before it gets better? Is it worse at night? He has a rough night last night, hence taking him to the doctor this morning.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

pollypentapeptide Tue 21-Jul-09 16:50:20

Hi DSM, how old is your DS and is it confirmed or just 'suspected'

Please try not to panic, in the vast majority of cases those that do have it will only experince very mild symptoms and most will hardly even realise they have it.

The media are massively overplaying this at the moment and even on mumsnet, there is an awful lot of misinformation doing the rounds.

Just treat this as an ordinary cold/virus and keep an eye on him in the same way that you would usually do.

But also keep coming back on here to let us know how you are both getting on.

We have it here (or are suspected as having it) including my DS who is 10. But we really are fine - just a bit run down that is all. We really have had far far worse then this in the past.

I know that for some people, it can pose a more serious threat but that could be said of just about any illness/bug so do try to keep it in perspective if you can.

My DS is thoroughly bemused and enjoying a week off school and has even threatened to Ebay his Tamiflu because non of us really thinks that he needs it grin

Polly x

dikkertjedap Tue 21-Jul-09 17:27:18

Hi

Hope it is going ok. The good news is he got tamiflu and by the look of it he got it very quickly. The idea is that the tamiflu will inhibit the spread of the virus and with less virus in the body you will be less ill plus if a virus can't spread it dies. Have you also been given tamiflu to prevent getting it yourself? I would advise to really make sure that your son takes the tamiflu (and keep taking it until finished, obviously unless serious side effects and then seek medical advice, but I believe that they are incredibly rare). Apart from the horrible taste my 3 year old dd didn't have any side effects (mixed with a lot of belgian chocolate sauce plus promise of present afterwards). Control fever, including light clothes, paracetamol, ibuprofen, depending on age, and keeping him as comfortable possible. All the best and let us know how you get on.

EzrasMummy Tue 21-Jul-09 18:33:00

My son has a history of chronic lung disease and was ill on the saturday. took tamiflu and on the Sunday he was more or less ok. he leapt out of bed and said hes a bit wobbly on his feet but otherwise ok. hes absolutely fine now (I'm not tho, i got it off him).

Try your best not to worry and just keep an eye on him. I put my two in my bed just in case.

Hope it all gets better soon

abif2 Tue 21-Jul-09 18:38:49

I also put my dd in my bed just to keep and eye on her. Her temp did go up badly the second night so kept on nurofen and calpol during night. Apart from that, she was fine, just as you would expect with normal flu! Good luck, it is scary when it happens to you, but they get through it.

DSM Wed 22-Jul-09 20:40:16

Thank you everyone.

He is 4, and yes it is confirmed.

He's taking the Tamiflu really well, mixed in with yoghurt, and to be honest, seems fine today. A little run down and clearly slightly 'off', but he's okay really.

Thank you all so much, your kind words of support have really calmed me down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now