Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

friend diagnosed with swine flu

(5 Posts)
LittleCheese Mon 20-Jul-09 21:18:22

Ok DH, DD(2) and I spent this weekend at a friends house, before we arrived he went to the docs as had a bad cough and as im 33 weeks pregnant and we have a 2 year old DD he didnt want to put us at risk of anything.

He was told he had an upper respirity infection and not to worry. Today he has been sent home from work gone back to the docs and has been prescribed tamiflu as he has 90% of swine flu symptoms.

Now I am usually a rational person and do not get het up about hype in the media, but right now I feel sick to my stomach at the thought of one of us contracting it. I really could cry. Im sure its just the hormones making me feel like this though, just needed to get it off my chest. Sorry for the rant.

coppola Mon 20-Jul-09 21:22:52

EVERYTHING is being diagnosed as swine flu atm. Have you seen the symptons - it's pretty much every cold/cough/virus I've ever had. It sounds like his work have overreacted - surprised GP (same one?) has prescribed tamiflu though, as it only works if given quickly (within 48 hours of getting ill)

Please try not to worry. I know it's hard especially as you are pregnant, and if you are really anxious phone your gp and ask for a phone consultation - I'm sure they will help.

Octothechildherder Mon 20-Jul-09 21:26:51

My ds2 has classic symptoms - they cannot diagnose swine flu without swabs and they stopped doing that ages ago everywhere. Tamiflu doesn't cure it it just helps it be less severe but has side effects such as vomiting etc.

We have decided to wait and see how he is tomorrow.

23balloons Mon 20-Jul-09 21:32:41

my ds2 is the same. Kept him home today, headache, sore throat, temp (on & off) + hardly any appetite. On the whole though he seems OK and had to take him into the school because had to drop ds1 off.

No idea if he has swine flu, his symptoms are mild and I have seen him much worse with plenty of other things. I would be much more worried if I were pregnant though.

pooka Mon 20-Jul-09 21:37:05

Ring your GP if you're worried.

I rang my GP this morning just because dd has ahd a temp for 48 hours. NO other symptoms really to speak of, apart from a small headache and a runny nose.

GP rang back and said wasn't remotely concerned about dd, but that she was going to prescribe relenza for me (33 weeks pregnant). She said if she was me, she'd take it. I have the prescription and am pondering whether to take. I hadn't previously realised the prophylaxis use of relenza - had thought was only useful if the patient ahs symptoms.

Of course, am concerned about the safety angle. And also extremely doubtful that dd has had H1N1, so am taking these into account in working out what to do. But I suspect that I'll take the drugs, on balance.

BUt I know others have decided not to take, or waited until symptoms arose. So there are arguments both ways.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now