Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Statistically isn't giving birth or being born far more likely to kill you than swine flu is?

(9 Posts)
Freddysteddy Mon 20-Jul-09 20:16:39

Sorry to be blunt, but isn't the risk of dying from swine flue something like 0.01%?

What's the risk of dying due to childbirth?

notevenamousie Mon 20-Jul-09 20:18:33

About 1 in 3,000

Freddysteddy Mon 20-Jul-09 20:18:55

Ok, risk of dying in childbirth one in 8,000 in industrialised countries.

Freddysteddy Mon 20-Jul-09 20:19:23

Ooh, I only got mine from a news story, where's your stat from noteven?

TheProvincialLady Mon 20-Jul-09 20:21:25

How sensitive of you. Are you sure you shouldn't have posted this on the childbirth boardgrin

I think getting in a car is probably a lot more risky.

Freddysteddy Mon 20-Jul-09 20:21:44

Well anyway, surely if you don't want to die you should avoid ttc as giving birth can be fatal, so shouldn't the NCT be advising women not to get pregnant at all?

artichokes Mon 20-Jul-09 20:22:21

bbc reported a likely mortality rate of .05% for SF.

Freddysteddy Mon 20-Jul-09 20:22:41

I know, horrible topic I know TPL but we've been planning to start ttc this month and I got in a temp sweat about swine flu, then realise giving birth was actually probably more likely to kille me.

So....

TheProvincialLady Mon 20-Jul-09 20:32:27

Aha. Well the odds are that neither of them will do you in, so I shouldn't fret too much about it.

There is probably a statistic out there that shows your risk of dying whilst actually ttc....but I'm not googling it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now